BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about an 07 650, I currently drive an 06 E55 and love the power but I'm just not a 4 door kind of guy no matter how hard I've tried to be.

I have some questions:

What are the most common 650 problems?

I read the 07 order guide posted here, does anyone think there will be a change in the design of the sports package rims? (I think it would be nice).

I have heard the lease rates and residuals from BMW are not the best for the 6, is this true?

How does everyone like the performance of the new engine?

I'd welcome any other comments too.

Thanks

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
The 06 650's seem to be the most problematic. Some are suffering from the dreaded steering sensor issue that is also found on the 3/5 series in 06.

Other than that, I think the 04/05/06/07 6 series have been generally trouble free with the exception of a software update here and there for some owners.

Considering the amount of technology in the cars, I find the 6 series to be quite impressive and trouble free.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
No problems with mine. It seems though, that the US cars have the most issues? :dunno:

The 6er has the least rim choices out of the entire BMW model range (I think). I doubt they will come up with a new rim for 2007. The new 10 spoke rim no.218 came out with the 650i. That's about it.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
chuck92103 said:
The 06 650's seem to be the most problematic. Some are suffering from the dreaded steering sensor issue that is also found on the 3/5 series in 06.

Other than that, I think the 04/05/06/07 6 series have been generally trouble free with the exception of a software update here and there for some owners.

Considering the amount of technology in the cars, I find the 6 series to be quite impressive and trouble free.
Frigging optimist, Sir iDrive-a-Lot!

As for one of the IP's questions, the 650i engine is the most willing engine I've ever driven. But, it's only 360 HP and 360 ft/lb torque. Your E55 has about 110 HP more. You're going to feel the difference. (My CL55 AMG is a 2002 - the year before the supercharger, so it has 355 HP. The BMW engine is far superior to it and much more powerful than the extra 5 HP would seem to indicate.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are the 07's out yet (as indicated by chuck92103)?

Any steering wheel shimmy issues, I hate that.

I saw someone put M5 rims on their 650, very nice but they must cost a small fortune right?

Thanks for the replies so far!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
500 said:
Are the 07's out yet (as indicated by chuck92103)?

Any steering wheel shimmy issues, I hate that.

I saw someone put M5 rims on their 650, very nice but they must cost a small fortune right?

Thanks for the replies so far!
Soon. The E63/E64 has a production year from September of each year. If you order one now, you should specify that you want a 2007 which means they build it after 1 September.

The M5 rims have different offsets. Do it at your own risk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the extra info.

I know what you mean about the power difference not to mention the 55's 516lb ft of torque, but I LOVE the lines of the 650 which is something my E55 will never have.

Great info re the M5' rims offset. Does BMW have a nice 19" 5 spoke wheel for the 650 that can be dealer installed? Also what about steering wheel shimmies, any issues?

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Here's The Real Truth

500 said:
The drivers who have problems.:rofl:

500 said:
I read the 07 order guide posted here, does anyone think there will be a change in the design of the sports package rims? (I think it would be nice).
No, change unless you changed them.:p

500 said:
I have heard the lease rates and residuals from BMW are not the best for the 6, is this true?
Give us a better assessment of not good/best with lease/residual. This statement is too subjective.

500 said:
Generally, you will find everyone enjoys/likes their current performance. Some people as you might guess will ask for more performance but that's life you know.

500 said:
I'd welcome any other comments too. Thanks
We have a feature here and it's called Search. It's a very helpful tool here at Bimmerfest. You can specifically search in the 6er forum if you choose.

Try it and good luck with choosing your next vehicle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
chuck92103 said:

Disagree. Steering sensor is the only problem I 've seen so far with mine. Otherwise perfect out of the box.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
sandiegobob said:
Disagree. Steering sensor is the only problem I 've seen so far with mine. Otherwise perfect out of the box.
OK, disagree. Search is your friend. :thumbup:

The 06's introduced a new engine. numerous posts on iDrive software updates, steering sensors, lack of dipstick and oil filling issues and errors, FTPM, etc. The issues mirror the E60 550 for 06 as well. However, even the 06 models seem to be very reliable given the small sampling of users on this board who have posted.

·
Registered
135 Posts
chuck92103 said:
OK, disagree. Search is your friend. :thumbup:

The 06's introduced a new engine. numerous posts on iDrive software updates, steering sensors, lack of dipstick and oil filling issues and errors, FTPM, etc. The issues mirror the E60 550 for 06 as well. However, even the 06 models seem to be very reliable given the small sampling of users on this board who have posted.
Remember also that we and other posters tend to post the negatives and problems. My wife calls me a 'car hypochondriac'.

Of course the more sensors and motors and gizmos on a car the more problems that can arise. That said, my 650i has been way more solid than many of my prior cars ('03 M3 for example). The only car I ever owned that NEVER had a problem from day one, never a squeek or rattle, was my '93 Civic. And I sold it for 80% of purchase price after 3 years. Oh well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
500 said:
I'm thinking about an 07 650, I currently drive an 06 E55 and love the power but I'm just not a 4 door kind of guy no matter how hard I've tried to be.

I have some questions:

Only problem I've encountered is the infamous steering angle sensor in 7800 mi. of driving. BMW NA will take care of you if you encounter this issue. Oh.....I did add a quart of oil recently.....first time I added oil to a car between service intervals in last 6 cars.

Not sure what you heard. The only real concerns you should have when comparing leases is money factor and residual. The aquisition fee (similar to points on a mortgage) may very by a few hundred depending on the captive lease co. Residual last Nov. on my 650 Conv: 24 mo. 12k/yr=70%. Residual % wil decrease as the model year goes on. Money factor I paid last Nov was .003. Dealer probably marked it up a little and it may be higher now since short term rates have gone up since then.

Good luck!

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
500 said:

I have some questions:

I'd welcome any other comments too.

Thanks
Damn thing forces you to drive it all the time!

No shimmy problems. Never heard of such a thing. No cowl shake, either.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Mine has been trouble-free. No Steering sensor problems (no AS either). My engine has a very functional dipstick. My iDrive has worked every time (cross fingers). Nope, no steering wheel shimmy. Is it perfect? No, but no car is. Hmmm, I think I'll start a new thread about how to improve the 6er.

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
500 said:
At any rate there's no rim design change announced for MY2007, so I guess you'd have to stick with the ellipsoids.

500 said:
I'm in the same boat, but located in Switzerland. Last week, the lease rates for the 5er series were about 0.5% lower than for the 6er here, but they're all changing every couple of weeks. As the Federal Reserve (and other central banks) interest rates keep increasing, I wouldn't expect generally lower rates in the near future :(
I didn't really bother about the residual value as I could well imagine to buy the car at the end of the lease. 42% with low mileage after 48 months here.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Mine has been trouble-free. No Steering sensor problems (no AS either). My engine has a very functional dipstick. My iDrive has worked every time (cross fingers). Nope, no steering wheel shimmy. Is it perfect? No, but no car is. Hmmm, I think I'll start a new thread about how to improve the 6er.
Lord Helpus, such a statement usually precedes catastrophic iDrive failure. Lord help you.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Yes, I expect it to go belly-up at the worst possible time; and it won't fix itself when I shout "ni" either!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Yes, I expect it to go belly-up at the worst possible time; and it won't fix itself when I shout "ni" either!
If that doesn't work, pull out the herring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FIRST POST NOOB HERE!

500...I'm an W211 E55 guy too and I've been lurking here for several months now. Your question has brought me out of the closet. I have seen surprisingly few complaints especially as compared to my favorite MB haunt MBworld org. I wish I could say that I didn't have problems with my E55, but I did. With recalls and small problems, I had my car in for service at least a dozen times during my 2 years of ownership.

Although I've listed my current ride as an '04 E55, it was totaled on Memorial day and I've just finally settled with the insurance company for an acceptable price.

I'm torn between the E63 and the 650i (which also comically is an E63). I have each car ordered at my respective dealerships. I test drove the 650i about a month ago and was very impressed. Handling and roadfeel are much better than my E55 but it is missing the MASSIVE torque that you are used too. But is is quick enough? Yes, I think so. It feels very quick, and the looks are aggressive. It's the only Bangled up car in the current lineup I'd consider. Actually I'm an old E39 BMW guy who's still bitter about the E60. Both cars should arrive at about the same time. Early reports from guys who have driven the MB E63 are reporting that the loss of torque in the NA engine is very noticable. The cars just as quick but you really have to wind it out to get there. Not good. I'm really leaning toward the 2007 650i, but I'll hold off on a final decision until I drive the E63.

I thought about the M6 but it's a little too hardcore for me. The 650i is the best 80% of an M6 without the goofy power buttons, and SMG transmissions. Sorry SMG guys, I know if I just lived with it for I while I might come to appreciate it, but my wife wouldn't

Sorry for the long post but I figured if I was coming out I might as well make it a good one. It's a good group of folks here. If I decide on the 650i, I'd hope you guys would make a little room for an old MB guy who has seen the light...again.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
tfire said:
FIRST POST NOOB HERE!

500...I'm an W211 E55 guy too and I've been lurking here for several months now. Your question has brought me out of the closet. I have seen surprisingly few complaints especially as compared to my favorite MB haunt MBworld org. I wish I could say that I didn't have problems with my E55, but I did. With recalls and small problems, I had my car in for service at least a dozen times during my 2 years of ownership.

Although I've listed my current ride as an '04 E55, it was totaled on Memorial day and I've just finally settled with the insurance company for an acceptable price.

I'm torn between the E63 and the 650i (which also comically is an E63). I have each car ordered at my respective dealerships. I test drove the 650i about a month ago and was very impressed. Handling and roadfeel are much better than my E55 but it is missing the MASSIVE torque that you are used too. But is is quick enough? Yes, I think so. It feels very quick, and the looks are aggressive. It's the only Bangled up car in the current lineup I'd consider. Actually I'm an old E39 BMW guy who's still bitter about the E60. Both cars should arrive at about the same time. Early reports from guys who have driven the MB E63 are reporting that the loss of torque in the NA engine is very noticable. The cars just as quick but you really have to wind it out to get there. Not good. I'm really leaning toward the 2007 650i, but I'll hold off on a final decision until I drive the E63.

I thought about the M6 but it's a little too hardcore for me. The 650i is the best 80% of an M6 without the goofy power buttons, and SMG transmissions. Sorry SMG guys, I know if I just lived with it for I while I might come to appreciate it, but my wife wouldn't

Sorry for the long post but I figured if I was coming out I might as well make it a good one. It's a good group of folks here. If I decide on the 650i, I'd hope you guys would make a little room for an old MB guy who has seen the light...again.
Welcome. I always find it interesting to read personal reviews about Merc AMG models with BMW models. The 650i has a decent amount of torque. But that's where BMW's differ. BMW's have never been about a massive torque up front. The Merc's are great for straight line and "urban racing".

It would be very interesting to see what you think of the Merc E63 AMG.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts