BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything I should pay attention to regarding the i drive? After RFT's it seems I drive is the next one on the list of less desirable options. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The only problem with the '08 iDrive is that the mapping info is out of date. A new set of '11 DVDs will run about $200 from a dealer.

Of course, you could avoid using the Navigation and simply pay for a new set of state road maps every year - which would be a good deal more expensive for comparable maps.

And don't believe everything you've read on the 'Net re RFTs. After driving on 3 varied sets of them, the only generalization I'd make is that they tend to be about 30~50% more expensive than equivalent conventional tires. There are significant differences among run-flats in terms of performance type, tread design, etc., etc., so drive the car and decide for yourself. Plus, you can always replace them with non RFTs.

Tom

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
is there anything I should pay attention to regarding the i drive? After RFT's it seems I drive is the next one on the list of less desirable options. Thanks.
Lots of folks have more positive attitudes toward Idrive (I freakin' love it), but as you probably know it was vastly improved from 2009 forward. Given that you say you are getting the Pre-LCI, I'm assuming you have the earlier generation system - which evokes far more complaints on this forum.

You mentioned an '08 - but is it a 335i? In that case, what is the HPFP history.

328i's sometimes can suffer from that infamous ticking problem.

Also, many of the earlier E9x suffer from peeling of interior trim.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The 09 navi and I drive is better. But if you want to save some money, the 08 is ok. I have the original nav DVD and it misses a lot of newer addresses. You probably should spring for the 2011 DVD.

A lot of people complain about I drive. I found it has a learning curve, but I like it a lot. You won't use most of the settings very often. Mostly you just set it up once and forget it except for audio. It does give you much more control over some functions in the car, without trying to remember all of the buttons and how they are pushed, pulled or in some cases, multiple buttons pushed in sequence. The screen navigation inside Idrive can be confusing, because the selection for the menu choices don't operate in an intuitive way.

The voice command controls are primitive. You have to memorize the vocabulary and there are scores of specific words and sequences to remember to activate anything. I just use the controller.

If you just want navigation, get a Garmin. It's way better than any oem, and instead of just getting a map update, very 2 years, you can toss it out and get new hardware and software. If you keep your cars a long time like I do, the DVD navi will be an antique long before I get rid of the car.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
The 09 navi and I drive is better. But if you want to save some money, the 08 is ok. I have the original nav DVD and it misses a lot of newer addresses. You probably should spring for the 2011 DVD.

A lot of people complain about I drive. I found it has a learning curve, but I like it a lot. You won't use most of the settings very often. Mostly you just set it up once and forget it except for audio. It does give you much more control over some functions in the car, without trying to remember all of the buttons and how they are pushed, pulled or in some cases, multiple buttons pushed in sequence. The screen navigation inside Idrive can be confusing, because the selection for the menu choices don't operate in an intuitive way.

The voice command controls are primitive. You have to memorize the vocabulary and there are scores of specific words and sequences to remember to activate anything. I just use the controller.

If you just want navigation, get a Garmin. It's way better than any oem, and instead of just getting a map update, very 2 years, you can toss it out and get new hardware and software. If you keep your cars a long time like I do, the DVD navi will be an antique long before I get rid of the car.
I like my 08 iDrive, and I think the NAV is fine. Yes, the newer one is better, but this is good too. I updated my maps, but, frankly, the roads don't change that much around where I drive, since the North East is pretty well built up. The restaurants are almost never where you look for them though, so don't depend on iDrive to find stores and restaurants when you are out of town, it is very hit and miss.

I prefer the built-in to the Garmin any day. First off, it is built-in, and I don't have to mess with wires. The traffic information works very well, the screen is bigger, and, for a BMW, well, a Garmin just doesn't look the part.

The iDrive takes some time to learn, but, so what? You have to learn stuff all the time, so learn this, has always been my attitude to having to learn things.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I have an 07 with iDrive and I own 2 Garmins. The Garmin is a better nav system than the iDrive but I never use them in the BMW. Having a built in system is IMO far better than sticking a Garmin in the windshield. Plus iDrive is a lot more than Nav. The iPod and Bluetooth interfaces are very good and very useful

CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts