Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am considering a 2006 3.0i, setup for towing already. I believe I should hold out for a 3.5 but this is right in my ***1 payment and done*** price range. Looks like almost all the needed maintenance has been done so I could get a few years out of the vehicle.

My question is, do you guys think the 3.0 will be enough engine to handle the trailer? I have a 2002 530i and really love the engine, plus I see plenty a lot of potential work with the 8 cylinder engines. So can the lowly 3.0 do the job for me? If so I'll go take a look at the vehicle. Thanks!

I've attached a picture of the trailer for you to smile- it's a 1962 Shasta named "Pink Peggy".

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd be more worried about the trans than the engine size.I'm sure either engine will do the job but from what I've seen the tranny's aren't that strong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input- I'll try to research the transmissions for more info. The less powerful engine should be easier on a transmission as compared to an 8 cylinder model. Any idea if they use the same tranny for both engines?

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
- Check the owners manual.

- My guess is: as long as you don't carry 4 other passengers and the trailer is light (check the spec for towing), you should be OK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 3.0i X5 should be able to handle it. The transmission in those cars are pretty strong and last long if well maintained. I’ve seen some with 200k+ and they still go strong but I would do some research as the 3.0i is not really that powerful especially with the X5’s heavy body and with that weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 5 of 5 Posts