BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting our first grandchild in a few months and going to sell the wife’s 535i and upgrade to an X5 for more room. We’ve talked to a few dealerships and no one seems to want to budge off MSRP. Is that the norm these days with all the supply issues? Also, and idea when the ‘23 models will be able to be ordered? We’re thinking about waiting on the new year model since we are so far into this model year. Thank for your feedback.

·
Happily Driving
7,276 Posts
These days it's msrp or nothing. Expect a large price increase for a 23. Get a 22 if you can.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The 2023 MY should start production in July, so you should soon be able to order one. FWIW, the X5 series doesn't necessarily have all that much more room, but it's taller and the rear access is easier to access.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,106 Posts
Expecting our first grandchild in a few months and going to sell the wife’s 535i and upgrade to an X5 for more room. We’ve talked to a few dealerships and no one seems to want to budge off MSRP. Is that the norm these days with all the supply issues? Also, and idea when the ‘23 models will be able to be ordered? We’re thinking about waiting on the new year model since we are so far into this model year. Thank for your feedback.
My grandson is 14 months old. His mother drives a 20 y.o. CIVIC in Chitcago-land. I recommended an X5 for those reasons plus active safety. She has not decided yet.

·
Registered
916 Posts
We purchased a 2020 X5 as a replacement for our MDX. Absolutely, the best vehicle I've owned. We were fortunate to get all the features as the chip shortage had yet to kick in. The safety features are great, DA pro works very well on long trips, although it tends to be a bit too close for my liking to the right lane vehicles when passing on the left. Ours has the wireless charger, which works well with my iPhone 13 and my wife can charge hers via Usb. Apple CarPlay is full screen and Apple Maps shows in the HUD, but google and waze does not. I very much like that the idrive screen is touch, as sometimes it is easier to just touch a selection than use scroll wheel. Massage seats are also nice on long trips, the ventilated seats are OK but do not really cool. Mileage has been good, 28 on most recent highway road trip. Rear space its not as large as expected, and the split hatch does make it a bit more difficult to load heavy suitcases against the back seat.
A great vehicle, hopefully you are a BMWCCA member and get their rebate, along with some other BMW incentives, but I would doubt any other discounts. Like homes it is a sellers market.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. It confirms what I expected. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to carry baby stuff than the 535 but not expecting a whole lot more room. At this point I may just wait until about September and order a ‘23.

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
X5's are BMW NA's top selling model, now. So, don't expect any discounts.

If you're ordering one and you don't need/want the third-row seat, get the spare tire. That will give you the option to go with non-run-flat tires later.

Actually, there will be a lot more room in an X5. The more-upright seating position translates into more legroom. I can't put a six-pack ice chest in the floor of the back seats in my 535i, but I can in Frau Putzer's G01 X3.

My only gripe with the X5 is that it's so wide and so high that it's hard to into and out of. I'm 6'5". Going in backwards, the seat is too high and too far from the door opening. Going in forward, the roof isn't high enough. The G01 X3's a lot easier to get in and out of.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You should be able to order a 2023MY vehicle soon, if you can't already. If you want to drive it first, then, you'd have to wait at least until September, or maybe August.

If you make enough to enable the full $7500 tax credit, you should consider the 45e, especially if lots of your trips are local. That can make it cheaper than the 40i, and IMHO, a nicer vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
My wife’s X5 is our go to when taking my grandson and his mom and dad with us (3rd row seating) plenty of room and much easier to get the car seat in and out of than my X3. Air suspension and messaging seats are a really nice feature to have. We were lucky to have our 2020 loaded with heated and cooled cup holders, acoustic glass, and power fold down for the second row seating. Basically fully loaded. I would not spend this kind of money (purchased) with the features that are deleted today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2019 X5 and love it. Looking at the 23’ as well. Dealer told us they would be out in June or July to order. Sounds like some exterior changes are coming but could not get it out of them what.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - Have had a 2011 X5 V8 model since it was new. It now has 101K miles, and is about ready to be traded in, as rear Air Suspension is starting to leak, and is an expensive fix. Here is So Cal, there are enough BMW dealers that you can usually get a few bucks off. I like the X5 because is is exactly the right height for me to slide in without bending over, etc. I don't believe that there are significant upgrades for '23, so, if you can find a '22, you are likely OK. If possible, I would get the 6-cyl/Battery model, as has a pretty good tax rebate, depending where you live. I have a early V8 model, and had lots of issues, which BMW mostly ignored. Though I also have a 2012 M3 (V8) Convertible, I will not be replacing the X5 with another one! Just too expensive, and too many service issues! I have put a $1,000 down on both a Jeep GC 4xe, and a Rivian SUV (designed here in Irvine). Both are (at least) 6months out, so, we'll see what happens. X5s are more common here in Irvine than just about anything else, except Teslas! FYI - I did just have to replace the rear tires (20 inch wheels), and it was $1,275.57 for just the two rear tires (including installation). If you get the higher end models, they will have different front and rear tires, so Run Flats!

Good luck with your search, just make sure to purchase the BMW extended Warranty near time of purchase! You don't have to buy is from your selling dealer! We recently purchase my daughter's three year old blue 4-cyl convertible at the end of its lease period, as it only had 12K miles. I had $35K owing, and the Dealer said he could sell it the next day for $55K! We bought the Extended Warranty by calling around and found a Dealer up on the Central Coast that would sell it to us $2K less that our own Dealer! Sorry to ramble on here, but have lots of BMW experience since our Blue 325i back in 1980...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have a 2020 X3 M40i. When we compared, the X5 was only slightly bigger. It does have the third seat option and higher towing capacity.
If you don’t mind picking up at the performance center in SC, or in Southern California, then you might try calling Kwinn Knight (or his internet manager) at Steve Thomas BMW (Camarillo, CA).
[email protected]

·
Registered
2021 X3 M40i Glacier Silver Metallic w/Cognac leather, M-sport suspension, M-differential
184 Posts

If you're ordering one and you don't need/want the third-row seat, get the spare tire. That will give you the option to go with non-run-flat tires later.

Actually, there will be a lot more room in an X5. The more-upright seating position translates into more legroom. I can't put a six-pack ice chest in the floor of the back seats in my 535i, but I can in Frau Putzer's G01 X3.

My only gripe with the X5 is that it's so wide and so high that it's hard to into and out of. I'm 6'5". Going in backwards, the seat is too high and too far from the door opening. Going in forward, the roof isn't high enough. The G01 X3's a lot easier to get in and out of.
I had an X5 and had no problems getting in or out and I am just 5'11". I'm also a big man at 300lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I am 5’11” and i feel like you have to jump in and out of my wife’s X5 lol. The X3 is the perfect height to get in and out of as you mentioned. My wife is 5’4” and she really has to jump in and out! Before we purchased ours we test drove one with running boards and that was the worst. You literally scuff your paints every time you exit.

Other than that you can’t go wrong with the luxury, comfort, and extra room for a family in the X5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be able to order a 2023MY vehicle soon, if you can't already. If you want to drive it first, then, you'd have to wait at least until September, or maybe August.

If you make enough to enable the full $7500 tax credit, you should consider the 45e, especially if lots of your trips are local. That can make it cheaper than the 40i, and IMHO, a nicer vehicle.
I have a 2021 X5 45e and I love it! Got it just before the chip shortage and therefore $3,500 off MSRP. Considering the $7.500 tax credit, it came to be cheaper than the regular X5 40i!
I get between 32 - 35 miles on electric. Don’t use much gas except on pccassional longer trips. Only had 3 gas fill-ups since the beginning of the year!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I haven't bought fuel since a long road trip last August, but I don't drive all that much and most of it is local. I think my 45e is probably the best vehicle I've owned over the years. Is it perfect, no, but it's good. It depends a lot on what you expect out of a vehicle and how you intend to use it. I have a handicap tag, so its size in a parking lot usually isn't an issue, and with the cameras, is easy to position well and maneuver.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I'm 6'3.5" and have no problem at all in or out. Very easy for me. Try getting in and out of some of the Asian scrap wagons and you'll look much more favorably on your X5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts