BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :)

I've found a 2008 BMW X3 3.0si, with 38,384 miles on it - for a little over $20K. It has the following features on it:

Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, the Ambient Light Package, Heated Rear Seats, Universal Garage Door Opener, BMW Assist, Retractable Headlight Washers, Power Folding Automatic-Dimming Exterior Mirrors, Automatic-Dimming Inside Rear-View Mirror, 4-Way Driver & Front Passenger Lumbar Support, Heated Front Seats, and Nevada Leather Upholstery.

Just wondered if the price was a good deal, based on the mileage and options?

Also, while I've spent a couple of hours reading through the transmission thread (and thx to that thread) I know what to look for - is there anything else I should look out for, known issues with the 2008 X3's?

TIA! :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just recently purchasing similar specs minus the cold weather package, if it is from a dealer and CPO'd, I would consider that an excellent deal.

-nels

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just recently purchasing similar specs minus the cold weather package, if it is from a dealer and CPO'd, I would consider that an excellent deal.

-nels
Hi Nels, thx for your reply. :) It is from a dealer, but not from a BMW dealership. It's a 1 owner car (according to CarFax). I had thought to maybe while doing my test drive, to swing it by my BMW dealership down the street (also where I purchased my Z4), and see what (if any) info they can give me. It should still have 1 year left of the 4 year BWM service, so hopefully they can pull up some info for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh I forgot, look out for valve ticking noise (lifter or bad cylinder), and water leaks. Sunroof leaks could lead to 3 different places - down a pillars, clogged drains - (behind dash, into footwells, or into rear trunk battery well.) Search for these topics, lots of info on them. Good luck.

-nels

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I forgot, look out for valve ticking noise (lifter or bad cylinder), and water leaks. Sunroof leaks could lead to 3 different places - down a pillars, clogged drains - (behind dash, into footwells, or into rear trunk battery well.) Search for these topics, lots of info on them. Good luck.

-nels
Thank you! Will check for these issues too. Supposed to rain/snow here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to check for rain leaks.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
Hello! :)

I've found a 2008 BMW X3 3.0si, with 38,384 miles on it - for a little over $20K. It has the following features on it:

Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, the Ambient Light Package, Heated Rear Seats, Universal Garage Door Opener, BMW Assist, Retractable Headlight Washers, Power Folding Automatic-Dimming Exterior Mirrors, Automatic-Dimming Inside Rear-View Mirror, 4-Way Driver & Front Passenger Lumbar Support, Heated Front Seats, and Nevada Leather Upholstery.

Just wondered if the price was a good deal, based on the mileage and options?

Also, while I've spent a couple of hours reading through the transmission thread (and thx to that thread) I know what to look for - is there anything else I should look out for, known issues with the 2008 X3's?

TIA! :thumbup:
That's cheap... ask them for a Carfax so you can check the in-service date... It should still be under the original 4yr/50K warranty..

Transmission: Just do an extensive test-drive.... If it feels funky.. holds gears too long, or downshifts excessively while coasting, then write it off...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Just wondered if the price was a good deal, based on the ..... options?
Make sure you really want/need some of those options - like heated rear seats, headlight washers, UGDO, ski pass thru', folding/dimming side mirrors, etc.
More things to go wrong or cause battery problems.

The one important option is adaptive Xenons - other used X3 buyers have regreted they overlooked that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's cheap... ask them for a Carfax so you can check the in-service date... It should still be under the original 4yr/50K warranty..

Transmission: Just do an extensive test-drive.... If it feels funky.. holds gears too long, or downshifts excessively while coasting, then write it off...
Update: The price is actually 25.9, not the 20K - apparently that was for a different BMW they had. Saw the CarFax, original owner purchased it in April of 2008 w/18K miles on it (may have been a CPO at that time?).

Then the next service wasn't done on it until Oct/2010 and Nov/2010, fixed something to do with the AC (I think it was?). Did a long test drive yesterday, drove nicely with no hesitations. Also checked engine for clicking sounds - none present. :)

Make sure you really want/need some of those options - like heated rear seats, headlight washers, UGDO, ski pass thru', folding/dimming side mirrors, etc.
More things to go wrong or cause battery problems.

The one important option is adaptive Xenons - other used X3 buyers have regreted they overlooked that.
Update: Apparently it doesn't come with all the features mentioned in the ad, which the Vin submitted to it having. In fact the VW dealer called my BMW dealership to have them also double check it's features - and they were getting the same spit out of info that the VW dealership got on the car. Odd to say the least.

It does have the Premium Package, but does not have the Winter Package or the Auto Garage Door opener setup. They are looking into its true specs, and will get back to me with this info, so that I'll have a better idea what I am paying for and would be getting for the 25.9K price. At this point, I don't know if it has the Adaptive Xenons - but I agree with you, that's a good feature to have! :)

Will update when I get more info, as to if the price is worth its true features or not. Or I may just pass on the deal all together, and look for something else. Thank you guys for your input and help on this! :thumbup:

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
Let us know what you find out. I have all of those options on my 2007 - they are nice to have and used quite often.

Xenons are nice, but I like my standard headlights well enough. Have Xenon on my wife's 530 and my Z4, so I have a good comparison!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Original owner purchased it with 18K miles on the clock????? Sounds like a factory owned unit -- be careful of these as they might be press loaner cars, performance center units, or something else.:yikes: The mileage (18K) does seem high for those kind of cars, however. When you take it in to your friendly local BMW Service Center the SM will be able to pull the history for you. That should give you a better idea of what is going on. You may want to pass on this as things keep changing and that is never a good sign IMHO.:tsk:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased a 2008 X3 three weeks ago and got the following for 25,100 out the door, minus taxes in my state:

M Sport Package with 19" wheels every possible option minus the following features:
NO: headlight washers, rear seat heaters, Nav, Sirus
44k miles

Use Edmunds.com to get a good idea of the true market value in your area. Also, call your dealer and speak with someone in service, service manager if possible, and let them know that you have found a BMW that you really like that they will be servicing for you. Give them the VIN and they can run the maintenance records that are available to them. If you get a service person that will actually speak their mind, you may get a bit more advice than just reading through the carfax.

Also, mine was a Factory Vehicle as well. The original owner/lessor got the car with 12k. It was shipped from Germany to South Carolina in January of 2008 and was leased to the first owner in September of 2008 with 12k. The local dealer told me all this after the VIN was ran, BUT they dont know what the heck they did in the SC BMW Plant to the vehicle... Couldnt be to bad right.... It has a Turbo engine and flared finders but other than that I cant find anything they else they did to it... :) joking about the turbo and fenders!...

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let us know what you find out. I have all of those options on my 2007 - they are nice to have and used quite often.

Xenons are nice, but I like my standard headlights well enough. Have Xenon on my wife's 530 and my Z4, so I have a good comparison!
Will do! I love the Xenons on my 08 Z4 - custom ordered her at the time, with every option available. Wish I could do that with a new 2011 X3! But for now, will settle for a used X3 and continue to shop around for close enough specs as to what I want. :)

Original owner purchased it with 18K miles on the clock????? Sounds like a factory owned unit -- be careful of these as they might be press loaner cars, performance center units, or something else.:yikes: The mileage (18K) does seem high for those kind of cars, however. When you take it in to your friendly local BMW Service Center the SM will be able to pull the history for you. That should give you a better idea of what is going on. You may want to pass on this as things keep changing and that is never a good sign IMHO.:tsk:
UPDATE: Found out that the original (and only) owner was in the military, and while stationed in Germany, he bought this X3, and when he came back to the states, he brought the car back with him.

My VW dealer had to end up calling BMW USA corporate office to get this information, because for some reason since the car was purchased in Germany, its specs somehow got messed up in translation to the US. IDK - it's odd though.

BMW corporate office did fax over the true/correct specs of this car, I am just waiting for my dealer to email them to me. At which point, I'll decide from there - if this car is worth it to me or not. So we'll see... :)

I purchased a 2008 X3 three weeks ago and got the following for 25,100 out the door, minus taxes in my state:

M Sport Package with 19" wheels every possible option minus the following features:
NO: headlight washers, rear seat heaters, Nav, Sirus
44k miles

Use Edmunds.com to get a good idea of the true market value in your area. Also, call your dealer and speak with someone in service, service manager if possible, and let them know that you have found a BMW that you really like that they will be servicing for you. Give them the VIN and they can run the maintenance records that are available to them. If you get a service person that will actually speak their mind, you may get a bit more advice than just reading through the carfax.

Also, mine was a Factory Vehicle as well. The original owner/lessor got the car with 12k. It was shipped from Germany to South Carolina in January of 2008 and was leased to the first owner in September of 2008 with 12k. The local dealer told me all this after the VIN was ran, BUT they dont know what the heck they did in the SC BMW Plant to the vehicle... Couldnt be to bad right.... It has a Turbo engine and flared finders but other than that I cant find anything they else they did to it... :) joking about the turbo and fenders!...

GOOD LUCK!!
WOW! Sounds like you got an awesome deal! Makes this one not all that appealing anymore! I don't really care about having (headlight washers, rear seat heaters, Nav, Sirus), as I don't usually sit in the back seat to drive anyway! ;) And I've heard that the NAV isn't all that great in the X3 - nor is it much to write home about on my Z4. With an iPod, I wouldn't use Sirus anyway - bottom line, you got a rockin' deal! :thumbup:

As soon as I get all the specs, I will definitely hit up Edmunds - but I have a feeling I can maybe do better price-wise with more specs, than what this one offers. But we'll see, once I get the true specs.

Thx to all you guys for your input/advice etc.! :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Cool your jets

This whole deal smells from the get go. First owner, 18000 miles, no way and BMW doesn't usually keep them to that point prior to selling anyway. Next stink, doesn't have all options as advertised. You ever heard of "bait and switch". Same goes for the misunderstanding on the price. Back up and take an objective look at this whole situation!

What state did it come from, some don't report to Carfax, like Texas which had a lot of flooding last year. It is not certified so with this background the risk factor has gone up and therefore the price should go down. Most definitely have your dealer print you out a complete service history. I would suspect that this was an auction vehicle and has a high likely hood of being wrecked.

Just don't get a burr under your saddle to have to have this car. The sharks can smell blood.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This whole deal smells from the get go. First owner, 18000 miles, no way and BMW doesn't usually keep them to that point prior to selling anyway. Next stink, doesn't have all options as advertised. You ever heard of "bait and switch". Same goes for the misunderstanding on the price. Back up and take an objective look at this whole situation!

What state did it come from, some don't report to Carfax, like Texas which had a lot of flooding last year. It is not certified so with this background the risk factor has gone up and therefore the price should go down. Most definitely have your dealer print you out a complete service history. I would suspect that this was an auction vehicle and has a high likely hood of being wrecked.

Just don't get a burr under your saddle to have to have this car. The sharks can smell blood.
Yeah, I've decided to pass on this one. If nothing else, based on Dogpile's comment and what he was able to get (for a little less than this one), I think I can find a little better specs for that price. Not to mention the whole thing just didn't sit right with me when it came to the paper work etc.

Nonetheless, I thx all that contributed to this thread with their info and suggestions. Good that we have sites like this, with a cool group of people that are very helpful - so again, thx! :thumbup:

As soon as I find another one that interest me, I'll check in with you guys for input! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts