BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying a 2003 530i. This is my first time buying a car and this is a considerable upgrade for me (I currently drive a '88 Toyota truck). I would appreciate it if current owners can answer a few questions:

Considering your experience with the car, would you still have chosen it?

Has the car required many repairs, how has the the overall reliability been?

I am familiar with the cooling and electrical problems, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Are there any common problems that are frequently hidden by a used dealer?

I think this is a great forum and I appreciate any other insights or advice.

·
Just a Gigolo
585 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

If you buy an E39 it will be the best performing sedan you've ever owned. You most likely will become a life long BMW driver. This is my first BMW and I don't think I can own a car from a different manufacturer now. About reliability and repairs...don't sweat the small stuff.

:bigpimp:

Edit: I just noticed you are in Pasadena...check out the off-topic forum. There is a huge bimmer meet being setup. You can come and check out a bunch of E39's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
roadwarrior687 said:
and I don't think I can own a car from a different manufacturer now.
That is exactly how I am now. I have driven Jaguars, Mercedes, Audi, etc. but by far BMW comes out in front in terms of performance/drive. If you do go through with it, have a little saved just in case repairs are needed.

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
132 Posts
You'll regret it... why you didn't buy this car earlier :rofl:

The E39 will bring you a lot of driving pleasure :thumbup:

·
E39 ****
118 Posts
You are making a fine, intelligent decision. Much driving pleasure in your future, and you have selected (arguably) the most trouble-free version of the E39 issued.

P.S. - Are you a Mitchell? I have a BMitchell brother, Bruce.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
'88 Toyota? Those things are AWESOME. I will highly recommend picking up an E39, it's another world than any other sedan, and i have no doubt in my mind that you'll immediately love it. Keep that Toyota around, i'm sure you've seen the Top Gear episode where they simply cannot destroy the truck. If not, here ya go.

·
Registered
397 Posts
bmitc2 said:
I am seriously considering buying a 2003 530i. This is my first time buying a car and this is a considerable upgrade for me (I currently drive a '88 Toyota truck). I would appreciate it if current owners can answer a few questions:

I am familiar with the cooling and electrical problems, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Are there any common problems that are frequently hidden by a used dealer?

I think this is a great forum and I appreciate any other insights or advice.
Check this 02 530 out w. 37K miles

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150775

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
roadwarrior687 said:
I wouldn't do it.

If you buy an E39 it will be the best performing sedan you've ever owned. You most likely will become a life long BMW driver. This is my first BMW and I don't think I can own a car from a different manufacturer now. About reliability and repairs...don't sweat the small stuff.
:stupid:
Warning warning Will Rogers. Do it only if you are willing to be spoiled by perhaps the best car on the planet. No other marque will ever suffice. Proceed with great caution.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I purchased my 01 530i about a month and a half ago and I love the car, like everyone else says you'll never want to drive anything else!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Never go back

Hey,

I purchased my Bimmer with 2500 miles on it in 1997. To this day, I can't give it up. People have offered to buy it (it looks and drives almost like new), and I just can't give it up. So, despite the astronomical repair costs per year and per garage visit, lol, beware--once you buy and drive a BMW, you won't give it up.
Stay cool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I pretty much agree with everyone else's postings (no big surprise there). I bought my 2003 530i a little over a month ago, and it's been a pleasure to drive since. It's an amazing car, so much so that you might start finding excuses just to drive it (seems to be a common side effect). One of the other interesting effects, is that I have to remind my friends and family every so often to stop complementing the car... they've become almost as protective of it as have I.

In short: no, it's not inexpensive to drive one, but you'll love it never-the-less.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
bmitc2 said:

Absolutely. There hasn't been a moment I regretted it.

bmitc2 said:
I replaced the final stage unit myself (look in the DIY forum... ~$70 total) when the A/C started acting up, but beyond that, nothing beyond normal wear issues (just had to get some new rear tires) since I got it in early February.

They are great cars, and you may never want to drive anything else. I believe the 2003 530 got Car & Driver's highest rating ever (or something like that).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Go for it man...I currently own my third bmw and I do not see myself driving anything else....the ultimate driving mean machine....as soon as you buy they will call you Tha Man......they are great machines....german people know what they are doing and only smart people are following their lead.....

J.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Jeez, they beat the hell out of that toyota and it still ran like a champ! Oh, about the BMW, be prepared to never drive another manufacturer's vehicle ever again... and prepare yourself for repairs. BMW = Break My Wallet

·
looking for a car
2,576 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
'88 Toyota? Those things are AWESOME. I will highly recommend picking up an E39, it's another world than any other sedan, and i have no doubt in my mind that you'll immediately love it. Keep that Toyota around, i'm sure you've seen the Top Gear episode where they simply cannot destroy the truck. If not, here ya go.

WOW :yikes:

·
SmokinE39
203 Posts
I was on the same boat as you were, i drove japanese compact cars before, after to owned a bmw e39, i don't think i can ever go back, the ride the comfort there's nothing to compare off, i guarantee you that you will be amazed how they performed, considering you get a from a dealer or have it check before through car fax or something
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my second Bimmer and I will have to agree with everyone here that the E39's are the classiest and most well balanced vehicles I have ever seen, owned, or driven.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts