BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about to get a new car and I'm thinking strongly to put an offer in on a new 535d. Right now they have discounts of 5k off and .9% financing for them. The seller is telling me that if I factory order I might not receive the $5,000 off because the discounts are applied on delivery, not order.. which seems off to me. Is this normal?

From your experience, with the F11 going out of production do you think they will hang onto the incentives until they are sold out?

I really have loved the test drives and experience so far - I'll be talking with sales tomorrow. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I lease a 2014 535d and I'm trading it in for a 2016 in a month. I ordered mine and revived 8% off MSRP. Car is pretty loaded at ~80k so that is $6,400 off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went to the dealer yesterday - they added another 4k off to make it 9k off. We're thinking to lease (even though we're driving about 40,000 KM (25k miles) / year and would buy additional KMs for 10c per).

Some things I'd like to bounce off you guys would be:

1) Service inclusive vs Service inclusive plus

I've been reading that the break pads and rotors seem to last about ~ 50 or 55 K Miles (could only find information from the US). If this is the case then I would likely only perform 2 rotors and pad replacements during my lease.

How long are you going between pads / rotor work? I would imagine that the automatic clutch wouldn't be replaced before 100k miles (~ 160k KMs).

2) Since we've just moved to the country and commute into the city we're putting a lot more KMs on the car than we've ever had before.

I'm curious as to the value of night vision. Often times during the drive I'm alone on a highway and there are a lot of deer and bears hit. With a limit of 110 km / hour you don't have much time even with high beams to avoid contact if they run into your path.

Do you think Night vision could be worth it in these circumstances?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hey all,

I'm about to get a new car and I'm thinking strongly to put an offer in on a new 535d. Right now they have discounts of 5k off and .9% financing for them. The seller is telling me that if I factory order I might not receive the $5,000 off because the discounts are applied on delivery, not order.. which seems off to me. Is this normal?

From your experience, with the F11 going out of production do you think they will hang onto the incentives until they are sold out?

I really have loved the test drives and experience so far - I'll be talking with sales tomorrow. Thanks for your advice!
The 535d is an F11? My 2014 535d is an F10.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
.......I'm curious as to the value of night vision. Often times during the drive I'm alone on a highway and there are a lot of deer and bears hit. With a limit of 110 km / hour you don't have much time even with high beams to avoid contact if they run into your path.

Do you think Night vision could be worth it in these circumstances?
I've only driven BMWs equipped with night vision on nighttime test drives. My impressions are that night vision is a cool "WOW" feature for a passenger. For the driver I found it distracting and potentially dangerous. The display of night vision on the idrive screen requires you to constantly be shifting your gaze from straight out the windshield to down and to the right to the idrive screen. Additionally your visual focus has to constantly switch between infinity and 3 feet away on the screen. This constant back and forth and changing focus I found very straining on my eyes. Also the time you spend in the actual visual shifting is time you're not looking at the road. Over the course of a drive that can add up to minutes of time not looking where your going. In short IMHO it's a dangerous expensive gimmick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only driven BMWs equipped with night vision on nighttime test drives. My impressions are that night vision is a cool "WOW" feature for a passenger. For the driver I found it distracting and potentially dangerous. The display of night vision on the idrive screen requires you to constantly be shifting your gaze from straight out the windshield to down and to the right to the idrive screen. Additionally your visual focus has to constantly switch between infinity and 3 feet away on the screen. This constant back and forth and changing focus I found very straining on my eyes. Also the time you spend in the actual visual shifting is time you're not looking at the road. Over the course of a drive that can add up to minutes of time not looking where your going. In short IMHO it's a dangerous expensive gimmick.
True if you are looking at the screen - however you can look at nav and it'll still warn you if it sees something that it considers a threat and then swap to the night vision. I've not seen it in action though, but I couldn't agree more that if you have to stare at the screen then it's just dangerous.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
1) Service inclusive vs Service inclusive plus

I've been reading that the break pads and rotors seem to last about ~ 50 or 55 K Miles (could only find information from the US). If this is the case then I would likely only perform 2 rotors and pad replacements during my lease.

How long are you going between pads / rotor work? I would imagine that the automatic clutch wouldn't be replaced before 100k miles (~ 160k KMs).
My experience is front brakes about 45,000 miles, rear brakes 35,000 miles. A lot of my driving though is red light to red light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I took one for a drive today. I drove from Calgary to Canmore and got 7.6 L /100 KM with an avg speed of 110 KM / Hour (posted limit on the highway there). It was pure highway drive as I cleared the memory right as I was turning onto the highway. I drove the car in Eco Pro mode. I HATED the driving dynamics of that mode, and was very concerned over the fuel consumption reported since it's so far over the stated economy. I loved everything about the car and it's fair to say that I was very sad that I didn't like the experience. Then I picked up my wife and we talked it over... and perhaps the car was sitting around too long in the dealership and this had something to do with it? The salesperson did say it hadn't been driven in 6 months.

So we took it for another spin from Canmore to Banff and back, in sport mode. I loved the driving dynamics of sport mode, and the fuel economy was 5.8 L / 100km. It was like driving a completely different car.

I'll take it for one last spin to drive it into the dealership and hopefully it will reproduce the more recent result.

Does anyone know if you can have the driving dynamics of sport mode combined with the fuel economy of the eco pro mode? I've not been able to figure that part out yet if it's possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My experience is front brakes about 45,000 miles, rear brakes 35,000 miles. A lot of my driving though is red light to red light.
Thanks! That really helps be to get an idea as to whether or not it's worth it. Since I'll be driving mostly highway mileage (90%) at about 3000KM a month (I guess that's about 1800 miles a month) then my replacements would be a lot less frequent in terms of miles than your example. If that's the case then I'm looking at replacing the rotors / pads twice over 4 years 160,000 km and so the service inclusive plus isn't worth it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Two other factors might make a difference of 1litre/100km:

Canmore would likely be into the prevailing wind over the more open foothills (15 to 25 kph wind speed will make a real difference at 110kph ground speed) and it is ~1,000 ft higher than Calgary. Could be less wind in the more closed-in terrain between Canmore and Banff. Also, Banff is ~200 ft higher than Canmore.

I get 6.2-6.8 l/100km over flat terrain with no wind at 115 to 120kph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts