BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking around at X3s and really like the vehicle. I plan on getting the 2nd gen, so at least 2011.

I'm not familiar with the maintenance/repair costs and know that they're significant enough that I need to plan for them. I know that there is randomness and I'm ok with that. I'm just not sure how to budget for averages on this. I also don't know if it would be better to buy a 2015 for 25-30k or an older one for less. For an example, I see at the local dealer a 2014 with 80k miles for 20k and a 2015 with 30k miles for 30k. I also see some 2011-2012 for aroudn 15k. I would think that the 10-15k will cover a lot of maintenance and repairs but that's what I don't know. I can do work myself if it doesn't need a garage or significant disassembly. I live in a condo and officially we're not allowed to work on cars but until someone says something I'll continue and just say it's maintenance.

Anyway, which would likely be the cheaper car just as an example? I'm looking at either an xDrive28i or xDrive35i. I lean towards the latter but not if the price difference is too much. Also, I plan on doing some light mods mostly for appearance which makes me lean towards an older one initially.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would recommend that you buy the 35i, the 28i likes to eat it's own timing chain. Replacing an engine on the 28i is not cheap...

I have a 2015 35i that I just bought with 39k miles and a CPO warranty for 33k. It has every option package, so you could probably find a 2015 35i for under 30k.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What to buy?

Hi just make sure you get a 6cyl. 3.5i the best I think. I have only ever brought used BMW as can't afford new. Make sure you get the lowest mileage you can afford. I have a 2011 3.5i I got at 31k had it for nearly a yr had not one bit of trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I liked the idea of the 35i better anyways.

Are the low miles worth it though? I see two 2014 model years right now. One with 89k miles for 19k and another with 26k miles for 30.5k. Both look like new. With an 11.5k difference in price would that be enough to cover expected maintenance & repairs? I'm a low mileage driver...about 6k/year. With most cars it makes sense for me to buy the higher mileage and bank the extra money. I've looked at Edmunds for maintenance & repairs but I'm not sure how accurate they are and since you can't adjust things anymore they can't be that accurate. Edmunds would give the same maintenance for both vehicles because mileage isn't an input.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Brian,

Do a search for Mike Miller BMW Maintenance Guide. Mike Miller writes the "Tech Talk" column for BMW Car Club of America. Mike recommends that if you are going to keep a BMW for 100K miles, additional maintenance is key to longevity. The standard maintenance provided by BMW for the first few years is not up to these standards.

If are looking at a BMW with high mileage, I recommend you check the maintenance history carefully. Extended oil change intervals and failure to timely change other fluids or filters may lead to expensive problems. A turbocharger or transmission problem may cost $5K or more to fix at a dealer. Brake or cooling system issues may require >$1K repairs. Electrical and suspension problems are another potential costly repair that may increase with mileage and usage.

The 2015 X3 model year introduced LCI changes which are preferred by some owners. In addition, a lower mileage 2015 may also have some part of the warranty remaining, which adds value.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/06/2015-bmw-x3-facelift-vs-bmw-x3-pre-facelift-photo-comparison/

The 2011 X3 was the first year of the F25 series and reportedly had more repair issues than later years. You might check Consumer Reports and True Delta reliability data for the X3 model year of interest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian,

Do a search for Mike Miller BMW Maintenance Guide. Mike Miller writes the "Tech Talk" column for BMW Car Club of America. Mike recommends that if you are going to keep a BMW for 100K miles, additional maintenance is key to longevity. The standard maintenance provided by BMW for the first few years is not up to these standards.

If are looking at a BMW with high mileage, I recommend you check the maintenance history carefully. Extended oil change intervals and failure to timely change other fluids or filters may lead to expensive problems. A turbocharger or transmission problem may cost $5K or more to fix at a dealer. Brake or cooling system issues may require >$1K repairs. Electrical and suspension problems are another potential costly repair that may increase with mileage and usage.

The 2015 X3 model year introduced LCI changes which are preferred by some owners. In addition, a lower mileage 2015 may also have some part of the warranty remaining, which adds value.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/06/2015-bmw-x3-facelift-vs-bmw-x3-pre-facelift-photo-comparison/

The 2011 X3 was the first year of the F25 series and reportedly had more repair issues than later years. You might check Consumer Reports and True Delta reliability data for the X3 model year of interest.
Thanks Mike. Consumer reports doesn't like BMW very well but they compare to other vehicles. Overall, the trend is that vehicles are getting more reliable than they were 20 years ago. I can see that 2011 is horrible compared to the rest though. I'm checking out the guide now.

I may end up with the day off work. Boss said Friday that he had work for me today but he's not in yet and if he's not in by 9 I'll just take the day off and go shopping for a new car. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should add that Consumer Reports also has the X3 in the top of owner satisfaction for 3, 5, and 10 year marks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I may end up with the day off work. Boss said Friday that he had work for me today but he's not in yet and if he's not in by 9 I'll just take the day off and go shopping for a new car. :)
I checked BMW X3 35i vehicles that are offered as CPO vehicles in the Atlanta area. Have you looked at the 2013 X3 CPO linked below at Global Imports BMW in Atlanta with 53K miles for $24,482? The CPO X3 will have been thoroughly checked and offers some warranty for additional peace of mind.

https://www.atlantabmw.com/used/BMW...lanta+ga-038ebddd0a0d0c142179c29a66bf4b9a.htm

Options:
"Cold weather pkg heated front seats heated steering wheel split fold-down rear seat ($700.00 Value when New), Premium pkg Nevada leather seat trim universal garage door opener auto-dimming exterior mirrors auto-dimming rear view mirror lumbar support interior light pkg storage pkg comfort access keyless entry rear manual side-window shades ($2950.00 Value when New), Premium sound pkg satellite radio premium hi-fi system ($950.00 Value when New), Technology pkg rear-view camera w/top view front/rear park distance control navigation system online information services BMW Assist w/enhanced Bluetooth & USB real-time traffic information ($3200.00 Value when New), Bmw apps smartphone integration ($250.00 Value when New)"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Below is a link to the CPO listing for the 2013 X3 35i in Atlanta. This indicates the X3 is a CPO at the $24,482 price. The current dealer web page does not appear to indicate this is a CPO vehicle.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/2013-BMW-x3-xdrive35i-5UXWX7C58DL981302?zip=30305
Yep. I'm off for the day. I did get in touch with my boss but he doesn't care. I'm hourly so I can take off whenever I want as long as there's no work to do. (I'm trying to be semi-retired @75% work.) I'm going to United BMW first since they're the closest to me and they have never tried to put the screws to me when I'm in there looking. Then I'll go check one of these out. I thought United owned all of the dealerships but I was wrong since neither of these cars were on their website.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've ended up looking at the 2017 CPO. It's a bit more but I'm hoping to keep it long-term and based on the maintenance I'd rather get low mileage & years. I found a 2014 with 44k miles at 32k but they had a 2017 with 7k miles at 42k and I felt it was worth the more money.

Another question: They also have a 2017 with 11k miles that has the M Sport package. I'm pretty sure this does not mean this is an M. From a resale perspective, would this be worth another 3k? I'm going to look at it because it's almost identical to the other one in other respects and I did not see it yesterday. They're both 15k off MSRP because of the miles but they've both never been titled because they were dealer demos. I get the new car loan on either and my understanding is that Carfax will say one owner when I sell them.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hey Brian, the 2017 is worth the extra money IMO. Are the ones that you looked at the 35i or the 28i?

I think the M Sport is worth it just because it has the sport seats with adjustable side bolsters, nicer steering wheel and doesn't have all of the extra plastic trim all over the vehicle. Since the M Sport doesn't have the plastic trim, there's nothing to fade in the sun.

Do you have a link to the vehicles that you looked at? Just make sure you get the options that you want. :thumbup:

EDIT: Are these the cars you were looking at?
https://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-used-16720681.html
https://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-used-16834521.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Brian, the 2017 is worth the extra money IMO. Are the ones that you looked at the 35i or the 28i?

I think the M Sport is worth it just because it has a nicer steering wheel and doesn't have all of the extra plastic trim all over the vehicle. Since the M Sport doesn't have the plastic trim, there's nothing to fade in the sun.

Do you have a link to the vehicles that you looked at? Just make sure you get the options that you want. :thumbup:
There are actually 3, but I'm leaning towards black. All are the 35i. The acceleration on that was so much nicer than the 28i.

The one I drove:
https://www.bmwofgwinnettplace.com/detail-2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-used-16720681.html

The M Sport
https://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-used-16834521.html

Another one that's still nice. I like the appearance package but not the driver assist 2.
https://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-2017-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-used-16926850.html

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Which one are you leaning towards right now? I would choose the M Sport and try to negotiate $1500 off the asking price and maybe have them throw in some accessories like all weather floor mats or the black kidney grills. The M Sport will have slightly better resale value as well. However, the M Sport has larger wheels so test drive it and make sure you're okay with how it rides.

You said in your first post that you wanted to do some appearance mods. What mods did you have in mind? Like I said, you could probably negotiate accessories in with the purchase.

I have a 35i with the x line like the third one, and not having the sport seats to hold me in place in the corners really sucks. Every time I see an M Sport on the road I feel a bit envious. :rofl:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which one are you leaning towards right now? I would choose the M Sport and try to negotiate $1500 off the asking price and maybe have them throw in some accessories like all weather floor mats or the black kidney grills. The M Sport will have slightly better resale value as well. However, the M Sport has larger wheels so test drive it and make sure you're okay with how it rides.

You said in your first post that you wanted to do some appearance mods. What mods did you have in mind? Like I said, you could probably negotiate accessories in with the purchase.

I have a 35i with the x line like the third one, and not having the sport seats to hold me in place in the corners really sucks. Every time I see an M Sport on the road I feel a bit envious. :rofl:
The mods I'm interested in are undecided, but along the lines of running boards, front grill, and beefier looking tires but tires that are still smooth enough to not add a lot of road noise.

I don't think they'll come off the price or at least not much. They are right next door to a CarMax & they claim to have no-haggle prices. Not official like CarMax but in the past I've been there and their used car prices are reasonable based on market conditions. They're less than CarMax for sure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've ended up looking at the 2017 CPO. It's a bit more but I'm hoping to keep it long-term and based on the maintenance I'd rather get low mileage & years. I found a 2014 with 44k miles at 32k but they had a 2017 with 7k miles at 42k and I felt it was worth the more money.

Another question: They also have a 2017 with 11k miles that has the M Sport package. I'm pretty sure this does not mean this is an M. From a resale perspective, would this be worth another 3k? I'm going to look at it because it's almost identical to the other one in other respects and I did not see it yesterday. They're both 15k off MSRP because of the miles but they've both never been titled because they were dealer demos. I get the new car loan on either and my understanding is that Carfax will say one owner when I sell them.
The M sport package adds some cosmetic changes (more aggressive front, anthracite headliner and elimination of some dark plastic exterior trim), as well as the sport seats, paddle shifters, sport steering wheel and 19" wheels. Some drivers love the M sport package and others do not find the sport package is worth the money. The sports seats are too confining and less comfortable in the opinion of some drivers, while others feel these are a must have for spirited driving. The 19" wheels in the sport package may adversely affect the ride comfort for some. There is no significant performance upgrade with the M Sport package other than the wheels with lower profile tires may slightly improve handling relative to the base wheels and some like the paddle shifters.

Not everyone with the base X3 has M sport package envy. In my case, my wife disliked the sport seats and neither of us would use paddle shifters. We own both a base X3 35i with 18" wheels and one with the X-Line trim and 19" wheels. I prefer the ride with the 18" wheels. I find the anthracite headliner int the M sport package makes the interior too dark for my taste. I also do not care for the front of the M sport package. YMMV.

The market value of most options, including the M sport package, depreciate quickly. For example, in a used 2015 X3 according to KBB the M sport package may add about $1.5K in value. The X3 with the M sport package is not necessarily a better long-term investment, but some drivers feel it enhances their driving experience and is a good value for them.

Oddly enough, Consumer Reports recent data suggests the 2017 X3 appears less reliable (1 out of 5 for reliability) than the 2016 model (4 out of 5 for reliability). In-car electronics in the 2017 appear to be the main trouble spot. The warranty may largely mitigate reliability concerns.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree with most of the comments above. I wouldn't consider the 2.8. Test drive a new one vs a 3.5. Just no comparison as to feel, heft, sound and power. I wouldn't buy a used x3 more than a few years old - certainly not earlier than 2011. My history with BMW is that things start to go mechanically (water pump, fuel pump, A/C etc.) at around 75K miles or so. I bought my 2013 two years ago on Autotrader. It's an m-sport, which I love (looks, sport seats, 19" wheels, etc.), with 27K miles for a bit over $30K. The car still had some BMW warranty left, but the seller had bought a Gold BMW extended warranty which was transferable. So, the car is fullu covered until 12/18. With 45K miles at present, I've had no issues, but when the warranty expires, I will consider another x3 or a Macan S. Can't go wrong with either car.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
There is no significant performance upgrade with the M Sport package other than the wheels with lower profile tires may slightly improve handling relative to the base wheels and some like the paddle shifters

Not everyone with the base X3 has M sport package envy. In my case, my wife disliked the sport seats and neither of us would use paddle shifters. We own both a base X3 35i with 18" wheels and one with the X-Line trim and 19" wheels. I prefer the ride with the 18" wheels. I find the anthracite headliner int the M sport package makes the interior too dark for my taste. I also do not care for the front of the M sport package. YMMV.

The market value of most options, including the M sport package, depreciate quickly. For example, in a used 2015 X3 according to KBB the M sport package may add about $1.5K in value. The X3 with the M sport package is not necessarily a better long-term investment, but some drivers feel it enhances their driving experience and is a good value for them.

Oddly enough, Consumer Reports recent data suggests the 2017 X3 appears less reliable (1 out of 5 for reliability) than the 2016 model (4 out of 5 for reliability). In-car electronics in the 2017 appear to be the main trouble spot. The warranty may largely mitigate reliability concerns.
M Sport also comes with the Sport auto with the nicer shift lever and different tuning. The sport auto paired with the sport seats, M Sport steering wheel, and shadowline trim make it worth the extra money IMO.

The M Sport package commands a higher resale value, I know this because they were significantly more expensive when I was shopping for CPOs recently. Either the X Line or M sport package, I wouldn't go for the no-line X3.

Consumer reports data for 2017 models is going to be useless. They consider usability issues as reliability problems. Since iDrive 5 is so different from older version, people probably complained. The 2017 is the final model year and will have most of the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you can find one with the Dynamic Handling Package, it gives you a great choice of ride between sporty firmness, or cushy softness - which can be changed on the fly. Best suspension I've felt in any X3 I've owned (on my 4th).

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you can find one with the Dynamic Handling Package, it gives you a great choice of ride between sporty firmness, or cushy softness - which can be changed on the fly. Best suspension I've felt in any X3 I've owned (on my 4th).
I agree that the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) is a desirable option, but it is rare in my experience. I have looked at more than 50 used X3s in the past year and only one of these had DHP, plus it was priced thousands of dollars above otherwise comparable vehicles without the option.

Looking at the BMW CPO web page only about 15% of the X3 vehicles listed are the 35i trim. Add DHP to the required options and the potential pool of used vehicles may be very limited. In a quick search on the BMW CPO web page I found 343 X3 35i vehicles and only 79 of these had the M sport package. DHP was not even listed in the drop-down list of options.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts