BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1896 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I was dismayed to find a bubble or protrusion in the sidewall of my RFT this morning. The sensor is not on in the vehicle and I cannot notice any performance degradation, but it is certainly visible. I don't have my digital camera otherwise I would include a photo. Recommendations welcome, do I keep driving it or take it in, from what i have read there is no repairing them, just replacing. Bummer...I felt a pothole last week but didn't think it was that bad?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Guys I was dismayed to find a bubble or protrusion in the sidewall of my RFT this morning. The sensor is not on in the vehicle and I cannot notice any performance degradation, but it is certainly visible. I don't have my digital camera otherwise I would include a photo. Recommendations welcome, do I keep driving it or take it in, from what i have read there is no repairing them, just replacing. Bummer...I felt a pothole last week but didn't think it was that bad?
get it swapped. it will get bigger and bigger. hope you have the insurance....

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Argh! No insurance, thought it was a waste of money. Never had run flats before. What a bummer. 3500 miles. Can u replace one tire only without jeopardizing performance?
Check the DVD in your glove compartment. Yes, you do have insurance...comes with the car.

·
Registered
759 Posts
What brand is your tire? I think it happens to Good Years more than Michelins. You do have insurance if your tire is a Good Year - BMW will not replace it but a Good Year store will. I read the Good Year insurance someone posted a while back and it clearly states that road hazards are covered :thumbup:

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
Argh! No insurance, thought it was a waste of money. Never had run flats before. What a bummer. 3500 miles. Can u replace one tire only without jeopardizing performance?
FYI: It is not a run flat tire issue. Rather, it is a low profile tire issue. When you selected the M sport package, you got the 19 inch rims instead of the 18 inch rims. The tires on both the 18 and 19 inch rims are low profile, but the tires on the 19 inch rims are low profile to a greater degree. Therefore, you are more at risk to road hazards. Several months ago, BMW updated its website and now advises that your are at risk to road hazards when using the low profile tires. No such warning is given for the 17 inch rims because the tires used on those rims are not low profile.

·
Registered
699 Posts
FYI: It is not a run flat tire issue. Rather, it is a low profile tire issue. When you selected the M sport package, you got the 19 inch rims instead of the 18 inch rims. The tires on both the 18 and 19 inch rims are low profile, but the tires on the 19 inch rims are low profile to a greater degree. Therefore, you are more at risk to road hazards. Several months ago, BMW updated its website and now advises that your are at risk to road hazards when using the low profile tires. No such warning is given for the 17 inch rims because the tires used on those rims are not low profile.
So, is spending money on tire/wheel insurance advisable when you have 17" all season RFTs? I plan to have them on 528i and wonder spending $1000 for 3 year is worth....I live in NYC so meeting pothole is a possibility at every block:eeps:

·
Registered
615 Posts
it's very much a RFT issue. If you look at an RFT design, where the stiffer sidewall meets the lip is the weakest link on the tires. Normal high performance tires don't have this.

to the OP, a bubble forms essentially when there is a crack/split in the sidewall. It is unsafe to drive on it and I would have it replaced ASAP as the integrity of the tire is severely compromised.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
what comes with the car? tire insurance?
Yup.

Check your glovebox. There should be a CD in there. Each tire has some type of warranty. The Goodyear, for sure, covers road hazzards.

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
So, is spending money on tire/wheel insurance advisable when you have 17" all season RFTs? I plan to have them on 528i and wonder spending $1000 for 3 year is worth....I live in NYC so meeting pothole is a possibility at every block:eeps:
In my opinion, it is not worth the money. We have a 2006 Three Series with 16 inch rims and non low profile tires, but they are fun flats. We have never had a problem in five years and that vehicle has been driven hard on some very bad roads. In short, the tires on the 16 inch rims are not low profile and they can take more of a beating on the roadway, unlike the low profile tires. The 17 inch rims on the Five Series do not use low profile tires and should not pose a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup.

Check your glovebox. There should be a CD in there. Each tire has some type of warranty. The Goodyear, for sure, covers road hazzards.
That said, would the additional insurance that doesn't come with the car be more relevant for rim damage as opposed to tire damage, since the latter type of damage is covered by the tire's warranty? Are wheel insurance options out there that only cover the wheel and not the tire? If so, perhaps this is a way to be adequately protected (both with respect to wheels and tires) while minimizing extra cost.

·
Registered
802 Posts
How long after going over a pothole will the bubble form? Is it always on the outside of the tire or is it advisable to check the inside wall periodically?

Please reply if you know the answer; your response is appreciated.

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
it's very much a RFT issue. If you look at an RFT design, where the stiffer sidewall meets the lip is the weakest link on the tires. Normal high performance tires don't have this.

to the OP, a bubble forms essentially when there is a crack/split in the sidewall. It is unsafe to drive on it and I would have it replaced ASAP as the integrity of the tire is severely compromised.
I respectfully disagree. The inability for tires on 18 & 19 inch rims to hold up is rooted in them being low profile, not run flat. We have 16 inch rims with run flat tires on our 2006 Three Series. In the past five years that vehicle has been driven very hard on some very bad roads and we have never had a problem. We also had a 2004 Jaguar S Type with 17 inch rims with non run flat tires and never had a problem. On the other hand, we also had a 2008 Jaguar S Type with 18 inch rims and non run flat tires, but they were low profile. Once the first winter hit, we went through about 8 low profile non run flat tires in the first several weeks of January 2009. We changed to 17 inch rims with non low profile tires and never had another problem.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I respectfully disagree. The inability for tires on 18 & 19 inch rims to hold up is rooted in them being low profile, not run flat. We have 16 inch rims with run flat tires on our 2006 Three Series. In the past five years that vehicle has been driven very hard on some very bad roads and we have never had a problem. We also had a 2004 Jaguar S Type with 17 inch rims with non run flat tires and never had a problem. On the other hand, we also had a 2008 Jaguar S Type with 18 inch rims and non run flat tires, but they were low profile. Once the first winter hit, we went through about 8 low profile non run flat tires in the first several weeks of January 2009. We changed to 17 inch rims with non low profile tires and never had another problem.
I agree with Sanguru above, it is a RFT issue. I've had low profile tires on my cars for years - 18 and 19in - and I've hit potholes that have destroyed the rim yet the tires have never developed bubbles on the side. I have mounted the same tires on new rims with no issues - I use Pirelli PZeros on my cars - except my new 550 of course, but that will change as soon as I bust the first one :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a bubble on my E60 non RFT Conti sports tire. Didn't have any on the E93, E60 530 or E85 (all with RFT and and sports package).

My dealer replaced both front tires under my tire/wheel insurance. I believe this is best $ 1000 I spent on my M5. So far I have got 4 tires replaced and have 3 years more left on the warranty.

1 - 20 of 1896 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.