BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The construction of the new manufacturing plant of the BMW AG begins in Leipzig. End of 2004 the plant will start the test production. The actual production starts in Spring 2005 (3-Series - 650 units per day)





I don't know the VIN code for the plant yet :D
 

·
Bimmerfest Founder
Joined
·
15,461 Posts
Hmmm....

Leipzig, Germany.

Home of Wilhelm Wundt, father of Experimental Psychology circa 1879...

:thumb:
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clem said:
I just want to go to Aachen :(
A very nice small city with lots of old buildings, churches etc.

But I'm not sure if there's anything related to automotive industry though. :D :bigpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,548 Posts
Alex Baumann said:


A very nice small city with lots of old buildings, churches etc.

But I'm not sure if there's anything related to automotive industry though. :D :bigpimp:
YOU BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:
 

·
•••••••
Joined
·
16,117 Posts
Re: Re: Construction begins in Leipzig

Jon Shafer said:
Hmmm....

Leipzig, Germany.

Home of Wilhelm Wundt, father of Experimental Psychology circa 1879...

:thumb:
Also where Johann Sebastian Bach spent his most productive years.... both in terms of music and children!

:thumb:
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: Construction begins in Leipzig

Originally posted by Dave 330i
A VW made in Germany would have a VIN beginning WVW -- "W" for Germany.

SAE assigned BMW's factory in Greer, S.C., a "4" as the first character. But BMW began switching to "W" last year. As of this month, BMW says, all Z3 sports cars and X5 sport-utility vehicles made at Greer have VINs beginning with "W." The remaining 14 characters of the VIN are assigned according to a formula
in the code of Federal Regulations.
This has come under some scrutiny, for obvious reasons. Although we know that all X5s and Z3s worldwide are Made in America, that's not common knowledge. I'm not making a jugment call on whether country of origin matters, but some have raised the point that BMW is using the W on US (and SA) made cars to 'mask' the fact that they are not made in Germany, where people might expect. And this isn't an 'industry standard' practice, AFAIK, as Japanese and other German (read: VW) makers do not do this.
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Production is officially starting on March 1st, 2005.

:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
A very nice small city with lots of old buildings, churches etc.

But I'm not sure if there's anything related to automotive industry though. :D :bigpimp:
AC Schnitzer !!!
 

·
I know a thing or two...
Joined
·
7,439 Posts
Kaz said:
This has come under some scrutiny, for obvious reasons. Although we know that all X5s and Z3s worldwide are Made in America, that's not common knowledge. I'm not making a jugment call on whether country of origin matters, but some have raised the point that BMW is using the W on US (and SA) made cars to 'mask' the fact that they are not made in Germany, where people might expect. And this isn't an 'industry standard' practice, AFAIK, as Japanese and other German (read: VW) makers do not do this.
Neither does BMW (any longer). Starting in 2002, BMW went back to the "right" way of doing things. A 2002--present X5 will have a VIN starting 5UX. The Z4 has a VIN starting 4US. I don't recall what the VIN was on the 2002 Z3.
 

·
I know a thing or two...
Joined
·
7,439 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Production is officially starting on March 1st, 2005.

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I assume they are making E90s, right? Are they US bound?
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SARAFIL said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I assume they are making E90s, right? Are they US bound?
1 and 3 Series :)

On 2/25 they have started to assemble the 4 cylinder E90 models along with the 1 Series. On coming Tuesday, they are going full capacity with 6 cylinder models.
 

·
I know a thing or two...
Joined
·
7,439 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
1 and 3 Series :)

On 2/25 they have started to assemble the 4 cylinder E90 models along with the 1 Series. On coming Tuesday, they are going full capacity with 6 cylinder models.
We have a few E90's that are already 150 and have VINs assigned.

The last seven have this sequence:

AZ85--- = 330i Manual
KR72--- = 330i Auto
KR62--- = 325i Auto

In the past, K has designated a Munich-built car. I'm unsure about A, maybe it's just another letter for Munich.
 

·
mmm... carbs!
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
I wonder if there will be tours. Would be nice to see a new plant in action. Of course, one would have to be on their way to Berlin for this to be an easy stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
SARAFIL said:
We have a few E90's that are already 150 and have VINs assigned.

The last seven have this sequence:

AZ85--- = 330i Manual
KR72--- = 330i Auto
KR62--- = 325i Auto

In the past, K has designated a Munich-built car. I'm unsure about A, maybe it's just another letter for Munich.
My current car is AY72 - a Munich-built E46 four-door. My old car was BE63 - a Regensburg-built E36 coupe.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top