BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Consumer report - x5, 6 turbo

1993 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Rosmoss
This month's Consumer Reports did not recommend the X5 - 6, with turbos. Did not say who have year, etc.

Any ideas why?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
They consider the vehicle to have below average reliability.
The Diesel is actually "recommended" as it has average reliability. The gas version is the one they had an issue with.
This month's Consumer Reports did not recommend the X5 - 6, with turbos. Did not say who have year, etc.

Any ideas why?
They didn't really have anything bad to say about the 35i specifically back with the 2011 model year, I haven't seen the latest one though:

Somehow the diesel got better ratings in the power equipment and audio system when they're the same in both vehicles, I wouldn't put any trust in CR ratings at all.

I wouldn't put any trust in their opinions. However, this data is based on incidence of problems and it is compiled the same way across all car models. As long as they have adequate data, it should be broadly representative. Of course, a single sample could be better or worse. I think the issue that is being highlighted here is that BMW spends most of its time on engineering high quality in terms of performance in engine, ride and handling. It would seem less time is spend on reliability. As an example, one reason they offer three to four years maintenance free is to offset customer complaints due to reliability issues. I have had my 550i into the dealership at least 8 times for non-routine maintenance issues in the last 18 months-each time it is something different. My incidence of such visits for Lexus and Acura over the last 15 years during the same time window of 18 months has been typically 1 or 2. I prefer to drive the BMW, but I know it will be more trouble, particularly when you move out of warranty.
Probably has to do with the problems the N54 had with the fuel pump and wastegates on the turbos which were a big problem on the 335i. It seems the problem with the fuel pump had been somewhat corrected and the turbos/wastegates got an extension of their warranties.
I wonder if the urea system problems encountered early on are listed under "fuel system"?:dunno: That might account for some of the hits as there were problems with filling the urea tank properly and some leakage difficulties as well.:angel:
N55 still has HPFP, injector, and DI issues.

Not to mention, the whole 8 speed/N55 drivetrain combo is saddled with annoying throttle lag.
Probably has to do with the problems the N54 had with the fuel pump and wastegates on the turbos which were a big problem on the 335i. It seems the problem with the fuel pump had been somewhat corrected and the turbos/wastegates got an extension of their warranties.
Not surprised. I've been saying this for a while. The M57 is a more solid power plant
+1

The survey methodology is fine, but there is going to be some margin of error....especially when people are responsible for the reporting. It also looks like the electrical type errors (power equip / radio, etc) are trending more favorably over time. That could be one of the reasons that the '11 D had better ratings than the somewhat older '11 I even though they are the same model year. This is all speculative, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if both models got to average reliability for next year's magazine. The main point thought is that they aren't very reliable cars, but not awful like some other models (Range Rover for example). I agree with that finding frankly.

FYI, these results aren't just coming out. I have a subscription to CR, and I was actively reviewing some of this stuff in May before we bought our car. The next rating cycle is in early '13 I believe.
However, this data is based on incidence of problems and it is compiled the same way across all car models. As long as they have adequate data, it should be broadly representative. Of course, a single sample could be better or worse. I think the issue that is being highlighted here is that BMW spends most of its time on engineering high quality in terms of performance in engine, ride and handling. It would seem less time is spend on reliability.
Would anyone be able to post the results for the V8s?

Thanks
Also, to point out the obvious, the X5 never had the N54 so the 6 was the N52 with the 6 speed to '11 when it switched to the N55 with the 8 speed.
My bad!
Also, to point out the obvious, the X5 never had the N54 so the 6 was the N52 with the 6 speed to '11 when it switched to the N55 with the 8 speed.
They don't have any....guessing it's due to insufficient sample size.
Would anyone be able to post the results for the V8s?

Thanks
^^ rereading, my N54/N55 comment, I sounded a little snarky. No offense intended.

^ you're probably right on that.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.