Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,113 Posts
BMW sells the arm, #5, but also sells just the bush (or bushing) as #6.

I usually replace the bush once, next time replace the whole arm.

I will use OE for the bush, lemforder when I do the whole arm

$80 for the bush. An hour. Maybe two if they are slow. I replace them in pairs. 2-3 hrs for both

·
Registered
791 Posts

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,113 Posts
Oh, funnily enough...the bushing on the E39M5 is exactly the same size. But the X5 is a heavier car and therefore the X5 bushing is quite a bit more substantial.

So a 'kinda stock' upgrade is to install an X5 bush into the E39 arm. I actually think FCP may carry 'E39arm w X5 bush'.

;)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys. Don't you need special tool to install bushings? I am thinking that, if I decide to do it myself (still need to assess whether this is a diy project for me), I would just replace with whole arm lemforder.

By the way, I recall that in Europe lemforder parts basically had BMW logo grinded off. Basically OE parts for half price.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks Guys. Don't you need special tool to install bushings?
Yes. Some bushing press set with the right diameter and depth of the press-cups included. The small portable kind to use while under the car, not a workshop press.

I my search, I noted that the toolset (china made) plus bushings is already the same price as two new arms with bushings pre installed, so i went for two new Lemfoerder arms. Hence, unless you plan to do more bushing jobs in your lifetime, new arms seems the most economic solution.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,113 Posts
Ive done it with a large bench vice and various bits and bobs of pipe /fittings to properly apply forces. Then I picked up a press.

The cats meow is a portable, hand-held pneumatic press that you just do on the car- avoids undoing the ball-joint. Very very fast. On a lift you can do both sides in 30 minutes (if nothing goes wrong. ;) )

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've replaced the two lower control arms with Lemforder. Getting ready to tackle that upper U shaped one. Do I need a spring compressor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've replaced the two lower control arms with Lemforder. Getting ready to tackle that upper U shaped one. Do I need a spring compressor?

No. A jack to compress the suspension just a bit to get the bolts out between the spring coils is all.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
No. A jack to compress the suspension just a bit to get the bolts out between the spring coils is all.

Great, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Great, thanks for the info.

Edit: completed right side,onto the left. Didn't solve my clunking and banging under carriage, but the ball joint was toast anyway. Next up, sway bar.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I chased a mild clunk over soft low speed bumps for ages (too). After replacing the ride hight sensor arms with play, and a drive shaft with some axial (length wise) play think i have finally nailed it to some play in the rack and pinion. A weak spring or worn down pads that hold the two together. Other models have had similar issues. But my steering is flawless, so not sure still. It’s just that there is nothing else left.

I wonder what you find. The tension arms take front/back load, so are more likely to be noisy with braking.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looks like that's next on my list. The front struts were replaced by the P.O. about 30K ago with Bilsteins. Doesn't look like they changed out those orange pads, I'm guessing the rest of the hardware needs replacing as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts