Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience putting the e30 M3 aluminum front control arms on a Z3 or 318ti. What I am really interested in is how much weight they save over the stock control arms and if there are any problems with installing them.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

·
Adding tickets
198 Posts
As far as I can tell...

...they are different enough that they just won't fit; I haven't heard of anybody even trying it. I would think that if it's possible, someone would have done it by now?:dunno: As far as weight, I've heard it's about 5 lbs of semi-sprung weight per side, which comes out to about $40/lb, which is ok, I guess, as weight reduction goes...

·
drug pusher
39 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that the front end of the Z3/318ti is actually an E36. it's the rear end that's E30.

·
Adding tickets
198 Posts
Ah yes, thanx for the link, I learned something new today. :thumbup: I dunno man, I just had mine up on a lift earlier today and was looking at the arms, and they looked a bit different than my E30's arms. But if Turner sez they'll fit, who am I to argue?...:dunno: ...

TeenerPaul said:
I was going off Turner's web page that says the Al control arms fit the e36. Most of all I was wondering what the weight savings were and if anyone had installed them.

Paul

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E36&subcat_id=91

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
I don't think anyone has actually tried them on a Z3 chassis. They would likely fit, but not really sure until it is done.

·
Looking for a project car
487 Posts
I've got aluminum front control arms on my M Coupe. Got them from Turner, they are the same one's for the E36 M3. I couldn't tell you exactly how much lighter they are than the stock ones. I didn't think to weigh them before having them installed.

·
drug pusher
39 Posts
BobC said:
I've got aluminum front control arms on my M Coupe. Got them from Turner, they are the same one's for the E36 M3. I couldn't tell you exactly how much lighter they are than the stock ones. I didn't think to weigh them before having them installed.
Was it worth the change or did you just step up to aluminum because you needed new bushings/control arms and it was a "why not?" type of thing?

·
487 Posts
dion said:
Was it worth the change or did you just step up to aluminum because you needed new bushings/control arms and it was a "why not?" type of thing?
It was more of a "why not" kind of thing, though I did need new ball joints. Reducing the unsprung weight was part of the desision as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd looked at doing this long ago... isn't there an issue with the swaybar endlinks? On the non-M's they attach to the control-arm whereas on the M's they attach up on the strut. Do the aluminum control-arms have the attach-point for the links?

·
487 Posts
Daver said:
Do the aluminum control-arms have the attach-point for the links?
Yes they do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts