BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a '14 M5 and live in central Florida. When I come out from work and the temperature inside the car is hot (like at lunch time or the end of the day (5 or 6pm)), when I turn the car on the Control Display (navigation, etc..) will flash. Not fast, but like on for 3 seconds, off for 3 seconds, on for 3, off for 3. The menus work fine, but you have to wait for an "on" state to see what you're doing. I found that if I go to options and select "Control Display Off" and then leave it off for about 5 minutes or so, then turn it on it is fine again. When the temp is cooler then it's fine, like in the morning or late evening when the car has cooled, and sometimes even in the middle of the day if it didn't get too hot.

It's been in the mid-90's (95F) and I have a sun shade and tinted windows but it still gets hot inside. I assume it's the display being too hot or something, and maybe it's just a safety that if the electronics are too hot it shuts them down to protect them until they cool enough?

The car is covered under warranty but I hesitate to take it in for that because it's not that annoying and having them take apart the dash could lead to other problems (rattles, etc...)

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Dave

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
We live in TX and through three summers - one of which we set the record for most number of consecutive days above 100 - and have not seen the issue you describe. I have dismantled our dash twice now and have to say the only way you would hear a rattle is if the clips on the accent trim (wood/aluminum) get weak or if someone forgets a screw. Check the reviews for the service department first to make a decision, but the dash is thoughtfully designed for ease of installation and the way it is assembled is what provides the sense of build quality... it has a layered approach and they utilize in a number of spots a single screw to mate multiple pieces and create a more stable unit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, experienced it myself a few times. I took a video to show the dealership too. Basically there's not much the could do about it, but I wanted it on record in case there's a actual failure and I need the i-drive unit replaced. The only way the said they could pin point it would be to bring it to them, let it sit out in the hot sun and hope they can run the diagnostic tools while it's occurring. That seemed a little much to me, so I haven't brought it in. Maybe I should, who knows.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Same here, i told them last time. Nothing is done. Will try to tell them again next oil change. Seems like this is a known issue (built date 2/2014). What year is your built date. I have that been discussed at length somewhere too.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I go to options and select "Control Display Off" and then leave it off for about 5 minutes or so, then turn it on it is fine again. When the temp is cooler then it's fine, like in the morning or late evening when the car has cooled, and sometimes even in the middle of the day if it didn't get too hot.
OK seriously, sounds like a reboot. Poss connector issue - if can get in there try re-seating everything. Expansion/contraction + not ideal connection appears to be the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK seriously, sounds like a reboot. Poss connector issue - if can get in there try re-seating everything. Expansion/contraction + not ideal connection appears to be the issue.
It's not rebooting. The menus still work and you can go through them. When the display goes off, when it comes back on it's at the same place where you left it.

I don't think it's a connector because it's very periodic.

The backlight is turning off and on, but otherwise the display is functioning normally. You can go through the menus when the display is off.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this. Again, it's not that bothersome because when it happens and I turn the display off via the idrive (< Options > -> Control display off), by the time I'm out of my parking lot I can move the I-Drive knob and the display turns back on and it's fine. It hasn't gotten any worse through the whole summer and it doesn't do it all the time, only once in a while when it's really hot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here, i told them last time. Nothing is done. Will try to tell them again next oil change. Seems like this is a known issue (built date 2/2014). What year is your built date. I have that been discussed at length somewhere too.
My build date is 1/2014.

My dealership is pretty good and they have done fine work on the 5 BMWs I've had before, including M3 and E60 M5, so I know they can probably do a good job but based on what others have said it's probably a waste of time to have them look at it unless it becomes more troublesome.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My build date is 1/2014.

My dealership is pretty good and they have done fine work on the 5 BMWs I've had before, including M3 and E60 M5, so I know they can probably do a good job but based on what others have said it's probably a waste of time to have them look at it unless it becomes more troublesome.
By the way, have you had yours coded? I only had my start doing it after I had it coded. I didn't really think there was a connection between the two, as the real hot weather only started after it was coded. But I figured I'd ask anyway.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
The backlight is turning off and on, but otherwise the display is functioning normally. You can go through the menus when the display is off.
Now sounds like a display LED circuit issue. Sometimes they strobe if one or two of the LEDs becomes disconnected, say, through a cold solder connect. Rapidly. Slow strobe would possibly be a power problem.

BMW will have a solution - or has your warranty expired?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
By the way, have you had yours coded? I only had my start doing it after I had it coded. I didn't really think there was a connection between the two, as the real hot weather only started after it was coded. But I figured I'd ask anyway.
I coded it myself a couple of weeks ago, but it has had this problem since I got the car. The coding didn't make it any better or worse.

The coding was fairly simple in that I only enabled the VLD and TPMS data, and disabled the legal disclaimer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I had my second oil change. I told the advisor about Display screen flashing when hot. Luckily they were able to replicate it. Ordered 'Headunit' but unable to program it correctly for some reason. so currently they are talking to engineers to figure it out. Got a call today that they ordered 'CID unit' and hopefully be able to fix it by tomorrow. So far car is with them for atleast 1.5 weeks. Any ideas??. will update once hear from them.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
So I had my second oil change. I told the advisor about Display screen flashing when hot. Luckily they were able to replicate it. Ordered 'Headunit' but unable to program it correctly for some reason. so currently they are talking to engineers to figure it out. Got a call today that they ordered 'CID unit' and hopefully be able to fix it by tomorrow. So far car is with them for atleast 1.5 weeks. Any ideas??. will update once hear from them.
CID is the display. So basically they replace both the head and the display. But this unable to program thing sounds weird. Is the display messing up the programming? Or just not matching versions.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Replaced CID in both, my '14 535 and my '15 428 due to same symptoms. I remember reading quite a bit about the issue; here on the forums. There may have even been a bulletin issued. Guess what- it was also related to hot temperatures. I remember my SA telling me something about a bad batch of head units ...
One of the cars had the programming issue as well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Had the same problem this past spring on my 2014 M-Sport . Dealer ran some tests and it came back as bad CID. Replaced the unit and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fixed. Will see may be Next summer to see if happens again. They initially replaced Headunit then they were told to replace CID. I don't know the difference (please explain if someone know it). They programmed it. And I was given the car back without any issue. Surprisingly they updated the software for bluetooth and my Iphone 7 is working again in my car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts