BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing the BMW OEM trailer hitch on my 2014 X3. I've bought the trailer hitch, part #82-11-2-287-405 and 82-71-2-349-502 I also bought the wiring harness part #82-11-2-287-406. My question is do I need the new control module, part #71-60-6-879-426, if I never pull a trailer with electric brakes? I tried to buy it, but have been informed by BMW online parts distributor that BMW is no longer making this part. Do I have to install the new control module?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not an answer to your question, but I thought I'd let you know that the control unit is available. I had my dealer install the bmw factory hitch on my 2016 X3 35i MSport. At first the control unit came up as not available. After some work by the parts manager they found it. I think they had to put in a call to BMWUSA to get the information. The part number has changed. It is 71-60-6-872-319 "control unit for trailer". It is installed in my car. I don't know what it does. I assume it was part of the integration between the backup camera, idrive and the trailer hitch wiring harness. I'm not sure if it does more, like control trailer brakes.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts