Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just a thought but If you were given the option to control BMW for 1 year and you had any chance to bring back any BMW, with any mix of options which includes the modern day

What would it be?

Personally, I'd bring back the E39 BMW M5 in black with the NA V8.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
BMW Isetta 600

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Easy. E30 coupe with the S55 with no driver aids

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
The first thing I do is bring back engine oil dip sticks.

The second thing I'd do is make tires and wheels a la carte options: wheel style and color, run-flats or non-run flats, all-season or high-performance, and staggered or square set-up, mix and match as you please.

BMW's pretty much brought back spare tires, on everything except the Z4, F22/23, and M cars.

If I'm head of BMW AG, that includes BMW Classic (formerly Mobile Tradition), the restoration division: I have them build or restore me:

2002tii
E39 M5
E46 M3 (I wore out mine)

The beauty of the E39 M5 was the mild exteriors styling changes (conservative front bumper by today's standard, round mirrors, and four exhaust tips). Modern M's have too much look-at-me styling.

Mobil Tradition pretty much built a 2002tii from a shell (with a VIN so that the car could be registered as a 1973 car) back in the early 2000's. The tii was my dream car in high school.

Long version video: https://youtu.be/vCw-8RgkYW0

Short version video: https://youtu.be/FR6Am76oj7E

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,631 Posts
Z8 Roadster with updated electronics. IMHO still the most lovely BMW of all time.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Z8 Roadster with updated electronics. IMHO still the most lovely BMW of all time.

***8230; sort of a refined Shelby Cobra with air conditioning.

I was at the Castle Comb Circuit in SW England in 2001. Some guy was using a Z8 as a track car. That's a baller.

I never had much interest in rag tops. I guess that's because I assume every car I own will eventually end up on it's roof.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The E39.

And it won’t have modern day options other than idrive. Rack & pinion steering would be a bonus.

I like what they did with the current MINI - the thing looks just like the R56. Classic but modern.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Uniquely desultory
7,558 Posts
Easy. E30 coupe with the S55 with no driver aids
E30 Sedan and coupe with s52. I likes me a good six. The S54 is an attractive engine but not sure I'm into drive by wire. It and the S55 just seem like more power than is needed. YMMV.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The first thing I do is bring back engine oil dip sticks.
BMW brought them back with the V8 engines in the G11/12 7-series and they can also be found in the newest G15 M850i, G30 M550i and G05 X5 50i.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,792 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
oops (edit) didnt read the question, ok modified... this is what I would do with BMW if I had it for a year

1> 1st I would give all my friends a BMW of there choice
2> Free servicing , parts, breaking , maintenance for as long as the own the car
3> Put M-sport badges on every single car, so people can just get the **** over it, IT JUST A BADGE
4> All dealerships to have free: Starbucks, Krispy Creme doughnuts, and little mint choc;s
(NOT SUBSIDIZED by the customers, NO, they will pay for the privilidge of being associated with a high quality brand)
5> all models to have a horn which plays "Dixie" (aka The General Lee)
6>all models to have tailfins
7> and rack and peanut steering

Was just a thought but If you were given the option to control BMW for 1 year and you had any chance to bring back any BMW, with any mix of options which includes the modern day

What would it be?

Personally, I'd bring back the E39 BMW M5 in black with the NA V8.

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All these comments are really interesting - I enjoyed Autoputzer’s videos. Good watch. The Isetta I had to google that one, interesting motor car almost replicates a bathtub haha but looks impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Uniquely desultory
7,558 Posts
***8230;. sort of a refined Shelby Cobra with air conditioning.

I was at the Castle Comb Circuit in SW England in 2001. Some guy was using a Z8 as a track car. That's a baller.

I never had much interest in rag tops. I guess that's because I assume every car I own will eventually end up on it's roof.
If I had a 8+ car garage and Jay Leno money I'd have a Z8 and maybe an E30 vert. Would be fun a few days out of the year.

But I'm with you, convertibles are too much trouble for a daily driver. They'll be leaking big time sooner or later. And don't lock your Krugerrands inside. Not sure if they're harder to cut these days but back in the day peeps could pull out their switchblade and easily gain entry.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Yes! Beautiful car. (Great pic...)

In my building a guy had a Z8 sitting next to an I8 for awhile.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Definitely bring back the original 8 series with tried and tested electrics and sorted mechanical stuff. The car would be a great success knowing how many people love it but are afraid to own one because of its known maintenance issues.
One thing certain though is that its design is timeless and to this day many consider it Bmw's most 'alpha male' car and let's not forget that it's motor also formed the basis for the powerplant of one of the greatest supercars of all-time, the McLaren F1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts