BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Z3 with a manual top. When it's hot, I have to give the front of the top a good whack from inside to separate it from the top of the windshield frame. My guess is that the seals at the front are sticking together. Is there something I could use to lubricate the seals that might make them less sticky?

Or maybe there's another theory for what's causing this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely a manual top unless someone went to a whole lot of trouble to disguise it.

I could believe the later though it only happens when it's really hot.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,177 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No button on the console, no pump in the trunk.

Seems to be the driver's side pin that goes into the windshield frame. Maybe it's bent a bit or maybe the top expands slightly when hot and pushes the pin forward.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,177 Posts
No button on the console, no pump in the trunk....
And I see that on page 41 of your 2000 Owners Manual, the top operation is entirely manual:
"4 Continue to raise the top at the front
and push it toward the rear into the
convertible top well.
In the process, make sure the rear
window is laid down evenly and free
of creases."

I wonder why RealOEM shows an automatic top for your 2000 car.
Here is the automatic top for a late 1997 Z3 1.9, made a year later than my 10/96 manual top.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CH73-USA-10-1997-Z3-BMW-Z3_19&diagId=54_0201
Hard to figure why they were still making manual tops in your 2000 model year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hard to figure why they were still making manual tops in your 2000 model year.
It was still an option available to have the manual top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Father Gino, getting back to your original question: "When it's hot, I have to give the front of the top a good whack from inside to separate it from the top of the windshield frame. My guess is that the seals at the front are sticking together. Is there something I could use to lubricate the seals that might make them less sticky?"

My electric top does the exact same thing where the front header seal on the convertible top sticks tightly to the top of the windshield frame and I also have to give the top a few good whacks from the inside to separate the front of the top from the windshield frame; once the top is separated, it can then be closed normally (electrically in my case and manually in your case). I can 100% confirm it's not the two metal hooks catching on the edges on my top. Has anyone out there found a way to prevent this top sticking issue from happening?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. It may be the rubber sticking but the other day the driver's side didn't want to release while the passenger side was totally separated from the windshield frame. The latches are definitely released but it seemed that the pin didn't want to come out of the hole in the windshield frame. I pulled backward on the latch handles from the inside (not that hard) and the top opened right up. Never seems to be a problem in cooler weather though I've only had the car a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts