BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a outside the box thought...

Having read lots of complaints about the AT in the '07 and later X3...
Having read a couple comments about just much different the MT is...
Being a MT biggot myself :D...

Has anyone done a conversion from AT over to MT?

Yeah it would not be cheap, especially buying parts new at the stealership.

I was surprised that the MT was only in the $3k range itself so it might not be entirely beyond reach.

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
Here is a outside the box thought...

Having read lots of complaints about the AT in the '07 and later X3...
Having read a couple comments about just much different the MT is...
Being a MT biggot myself :D...

Has anyone done a conversion from AT over to MT?

Yeah it would not be cheap, especially buying parts new at the stealership.

I was surprised that the MT was only in the $3k range itself so it might not be entirely beyond reach.
I can't even find a short throw to fit my MT. You would defintely become the reigning expert if you do though:thumbup:

· about the mini part....
1,139 Posts
I thought about doing this too, but I ordered an E90 instead. :D I wanted to an engine swap with a S54 in a few years, but I guess that won't happen till I get another one in a few years.

· Registered
6,616 Posts
It could be done, but would be very expensive unless you found a rolled/water damaged/rear ended MT X3 and were able to get the parts from the carcass you would need. A friendly indy shop that wouldn't mind a "project" sort of arrangement might be possible. The easiest and cheapest way is sell yours and just buy an MT X3.

· BMW Enthusiast!
5,717 Posts
There was a note in a Roundel Issue (not sure which month, but within the last 3) about conversions. I am not sure of the cost but I am sure it can be done!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have been known to do slightly less ambitious projects before...

Grew up mixing and matching motorcycle parts.
Swapped rear suspension from solid axle to IRS in two different cars over the years.
Swapped from 4 spd to 5 spd in a classic Chevy (folks often convert these auto to manual).

As pointed out, with a wrecked MT the conversion would be pretty straight forward. Just take out these parts and put in those parts. I figure one big complication would be the computer reprogram required to "forget" about the AT controls. The real limiter here is finding a wrecked MT X3. Not too many X3s and way fewer MT X3s so the combination would be like a precious stone and harder to find. This would be helped out greatly if there were parts shared in common with other models. I imagine that the front and clutch parts from E9x's would probably work but as they do not have a transfer case the transmissions are likely different. They do share gear ratios though... so it all depends on how BMW did the rear end of the transmission case. With Xdrive versions of the E9x there could be a standard case with added end plate for non-Xdrive versions.

I figure it would take a lot of wandering through parts lists and numbers to find all the places where unique parts were used for MT versus AT.

As to "very expensive"... I guess that depends on your frame of reference and how bad you want it. I shopped and paid about $2000 (most are in the $2500-3000 range) in parts to convert from 4 speed to 5 speed on the El Camino. I expected the BMW transmission to be a LOT more... and it seemed to be only around $3000. So with new parts a conversion would probably run under $5000 doing the wrench twisting yourself (this is NOT the kind of project you hand to a dealer ;) ). Yeah it cost a fair bit... but less than buying a new one.

· BMW Enthusiast!
5,717 Posts
I almost forgot my sister had the family 1966 Mustang 289 V8 converted from AT to a 3 speed MT. She races it in vintage car races now. I am not sure how much she spent for the trans conversion. The entire car repair/refurbish was in the range of $30k though. It was in rough shape but looks beautiful and has a LOT of power now!

· Registered
697 Posts
another equally reasonable conversion would be to convert the X3 to a 3 series coupe. Just cut out the rear doors, lower the suspension and remove the rear seat. Could even remove trhe roof and you'd have a cabrio!

Or you could just buy one. And save enough to put my children thru college.

· zeddy
20,703 Posts
another equally reasonable conversion would be to convert the X3 to a 3 series coupe. Just cut out the rear doors, lower the suspension and remove the rear seat. Could even remove trhe roof and you'd have a cabrio!

Or you could just buy one. And save enough to put my children thru college.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously, I had an automatic Z4 ( I had made the classic mistake of 'buying the deal'), I looked into a tranny swap, but it was so complicated and expensive (and hard to find someone who was willing to do it mainly because of electronics), I went shopping for a Z4 manual instead.

I ended up with a 6 speed ZHP convertible just because I liked it so much ;)

Ed

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some people just have no imagination...

All of the big parts add up to about $5200 at Tischer. ;-)
Figure it would be partially offset by value of removed automatic transmission. Yeah it is a X3 automatic so probably not offset by much.
Big ticket stuff is transmission @ $3241, flywheel @ $726, and clutch @ $420.
And FWIW the transmission is also used on the E60 525Xi, E60 530Xi, E60N 528Xi, and E61 530Xi.

Probably won't do it but it makes for an interesting "what if"...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.