BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for some sort of a kit to convert my automatic top to a manual top. Does anyone know of any shops in the Chicago area, or somewhere online I can get a kit?

I drive an 1993 E30 325ic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have a 1990 325ic with top that is manual now- some mechanism removed and only the back cover hatch opens and closes electricall now- motors both still run but only connected to the cover hatch- works fine- no problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you do?

have a 1990 325ic with top that is manual now- some mechanism removed and only the back cover hatch opens and closes electricall now- motors both still run but only connected to the cover hatch- works fine- no problems
GREAT!!! Can you tell us which parts were removed? It seems like a lot of us have problems with the power top mechanism. Having a convertible where it's a hassle to lower the top is frustrating :cry: ! THANKS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys if you have 1993's you might hold off on removing the automatic controls. You have the last year of the e30, I wonder how converting the automatic top to manual would affect future value of your cars? I have a 318ic, so luckily the "cheap one" came with manual :) Good luck with your 93's....

·
Registered
76 Posts
My motors and the whole power top assembly work, except that I dont have the rods or arms to connect to the actual motor and then to the soft top, so the motor turns but it turns nothing. so if any of you have this part of the electrical assembly please let me know! I need these parts. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 92 with the auto top not working, and I just picked up an 88 with the manaul set up. I want to change the 92 over to the manual set up off the 88. If I can do that I will have those linkages available...

·
hangman262
4 Posts
ok i just got an 89 and i dont know how to make the top go down it is a manual ( i'm assmung because i have not seen a switch ) i bought the car for my final project for Auto collision class then i am going to give the car to my mother when i leave for basic. i'm also wondering if anyone know how hard it is to replace the top ( i have found them on EBay for like 250-300)

·
Registered
5 Posts
1992 convertible fix.

Here is what I did for my E30. There are 2 separate operations for my top. The top opening motor and the lid opening on trunk. I disconnected the top by opening the trunk and removing the false back. There is a little leaver on the right side. If you pull this down this disconnects the top motor. Next I pried open the top of the trunk that houses the roof carefully. There was a little bar in the far back side that connects the motor with a little pin. Remove the pin and now the top opens freely. This worked great for me however the lid on the trunk is no longer locked in place. I am concerned that if a big wind comes along the lid could fly open, it hasn't happened yet, but it is a concern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am yet another person thinking to do this. My E36 has a semi-automatic roof and the elastic has gone loose which makes operation a real pain. I've released the roof and reset it before now but I now as cneidle found that the tonneau cover then doesn't fix down as the motor is disengaged. I am thinking to try removing the arms that connect the motor to the roof and see what happens. Hopefully I will be able to leave the locking mechanism intact without the lifting part connected otherwise the roof operation will become a two person job. I'll post again to let people know how I got on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. My name is Stu. I am new to your group & I also had an issue with my 1992 BMW E30 top.

I know this is an old thread but I figured it would be worth reviving because Im sure there is someone out there still with this issue. I had an idea how to latch the top cover so i fabricated a kit to lock the rear deck. My friend who had the same issue with his car encouraged me to fab up a kit and offer them for sale.

It comes with everything you need to be able to make your roof operable again manually and installs in an hour or two and the only modification you need to do to the car is to cut a slot into the felt cover to allow the lever to move. There is no drilling, or anything else that would devalue the car involved and it is all reversible (except for the slot).

Take a look let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/CxV9dgID_Gw

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
Rushing back to the OP's question - The 'kit' is called 'E30 Manual Top Wreck' and is available from your local vehicle Pick-and-Pull or e-bay. Having bought 3 wrecks for parts they are excellent value. Be warned, you never pull enough parts off. Whatever you leave, no matter how small, is the part you want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts