BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I know there are numerous discussions on the Convertable tops and there problems. I have been unable to find anything about my problem.
I picked up a 1999 323I a couple of months ago and have been going through the car, Cooling, Brakes, and anything else to make it a good runner. The top was inoperable when I got the car so I have been working on this for awhile. I got all the motors fixed and actually working before I started really getting into the top, had it working to a point where everything worked but the latching? The top will come up, the forward motor will do its thing, bringing the front to about 6 inches from the Winshield then the latches would activate. I am attaching some pictures of where it stops. I am thinking of converting it to full manual but the top still won’t close to the Winshield. I have disconnected all the control arms from the frame and no luck. I removed the entire soft top and straps to see if they were keeping the top from fully closing. I can with some force get the latches into the windshield but the back of the frame lifts off the cover. There must be an adjustment somewhere I’m not seeing to get the top and the windshield to the proper place before the latches activate? Any help would be much appreciated. I’m at a wall I cannot figure out.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Have you done the resynch process for the top? If so, did you do it holding the top control button in the top up or top down position?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have resynced the top pushing the button up as well as down. The problem isn't in the resync, its the top wont close any further than where my picture shows. I have the motor control arms disconnected front and back. The top should just close manually but stops 6 inches from the windshield. I am considering converting to a manual front closure but I not sure if it will work because the frame takes excessive force to close?
Jim

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have an e36 as well (99 323ci) and i changed from full auto top to semi auto. the only issue i cant fix so far is how to let the computer know that its semi instead of full auto since its programming wants to unlock the electronic arms when first disengaging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s what I will try to figure when I get that far. Can you look at my pictures and let me know if that is where your top stops coming down? Mine seems to be stuck at that distance from the windshield, and is takes effort to pull it closed. Is this normal?
Jim

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
That’s what I will try to figure when I get that far. Can you look at my pictures and let me know if that is where your top stops coming down? Mine seems to be stuck at that distance from the windshield, and is takes effort to pull it closed. Is this normal?
Jim
It should come down to the windshield frame without having to be forced. The only other thing I can think of that might be hindering that is the tension straps. The driver side doesn't look taught but the passenger side might be? Can't really tell from the photos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have removed all the straps before and it still wont close? Thank you for confirming that it should come to the windshield without force. That is what I thought. There has to be some kind of adjustment? I feel that the first set of frame by the rear window isn’t allowing the top to come down. I’ll take some more pictures.
Jim

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I have removed all the straps before and it still wont close? Thank you for confirming that it should come to the windshield without force. That is what I thought. There has to be some kind of adjustment? I feel that the first set of frame by the rear window isn’t allowing the top to come down. I’ll take some more pictures.
Jim
Photos of the driver side hinge area (where the drive rods connect) would be helpful. I don't have an E36 to look at so could use a memory refresh of that area of the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts