BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ddbutton
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 325Ci convertible has had a very well behaved top in regards to its functionality. The condition of the top and inner lining has been excellent up until a few days ago when I noticed the liner behind the passenger side window was flapping in the wind with the window down.

There is a flap that has a plastic triangle shaped backing piece with tabs that have a heavy string strung through them and around a top frame support to hold it in place. (This portion of the liner, when in place, is perpendicular to the window.) A portion of the backing piece has broken off and let the string loose so that the liner is no longer held in place. This loose piece of liner with backing will most likely catch on the body when the top is retracted.

Has anyone experience repairing something like this? I do have the other side to use as an example, but there appears to be a portion of the backing piece missing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My 2002 325Ci convertible has had a very well behaved top in regards to its functionality. The condition of the top and inner lining has been excellent up until a few days ago when I noticed the liner behind the passenger side window was flapping in the wind with the window down.

There is a flap that has a plastic triangle shaped backing piece with tabs that have a heavy string strung through them and around a top frame support to hold it in place. (This portion of the liner, when in place, is perpendicular to the window.) A portion of the backing piece has broken off and let the string loose so that the liner is no longer held in place. This loose piece of liner with backing will most likely catch on the body when the top is retracted.

Has anyone experience repairing something like this? I do have the other side to use as an example, but there appears to be a portion of the backing piece missing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Google "E46 convertible batwings". The DIY should be the first hit.

·
ddbutton
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the awareness.

I appreciate the awareness. A quick search for "E46 convertible bat wings" produces much information.
I have a repair kit on order and have viewed the YouTube video instructions for the replacement process.
If I encounter any additional helpful ideas, either mine or others, I will post again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts