BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right side "off tension linkage rod" on my 1997 E36 Automatic Convertible Top has snapped off close to the ball joint. Basicly were the arrows point to on page 7 off this link. http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/s...-22298-226546-3133/E36_Convertible_Adjust.pdf

Local shop tells me that no one sells this as an individual part and I have to buy an entire replacement frame for a few grand. They think that they can weld it back together for a couple hundred bucks. But it is an awfully small area to be welding back together especially considering it is a "tension" linkage. They say they have never seen this problem on a top.

I can send pictures if you want more info

Any thoughts, suggestions, sources for used top frames?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
That's a 6 year old post, I don't think he's going to respond..........:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it fixed at North Bay Bavarian in Santa Rosa. One of the younger guys there has some welding experience and they just welded it back together. Six years later and it's still good

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,546 Posts

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
I got it fixed at North Bay Bavarian in Santa Rosa. One of the younger guys there has some welding experience and they just welded it back together. Six years later and it's still good
Thanks for chiming in CAPTAPD! After that long I would have bet on a no response!

I'm glad I have the semi-auto top! The front release mechanism on the full autos seems to be the one area on the BMW vert top system that they didn't give you much of a back up plan to work with if it breaks and it seems to be the least robust mechanically. The rest of the top mechanism is really pretty stout and reliable in spite of gripes people post.

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
Best resurrection thread ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts