BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've read through a lot of posts, and can't seem to find the answer. A few weeks ago, my top stopped working completly. I get no response when I push the up or down button. I was reading on the forum that there is a way to manually open the top to "reset it" I followed the instructions of releaseing the motor clutches, but when I tried to open my boot part of my top, it simply will not come up.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Modic at BMW

Your top is fully automatic and fully diagnostic. I would assuming all else has failed, go to a dealer and have them fun the diagnostics on the convertible top and see what it shows.
Question:
Does the boot open a little or does it feel like the two top latches are still latched.
Question:
You did pull the fuse #7 in the front fuse box when you when to reset the top?

It could be that the bat wings ( the plastic pieces that are on the back side of the rear windows that keep the side of the vert top from flapping in the wind) have jammed the top closed, if the top opens some then it could be the bat wings are misalighened or broken.

Pulling the emergency level in the rear seat is supposed to release (actually disengage) the motors from the drive unit so that the top can be closed and latched.

if the boot latches will not release when the emergency release lever is pulled then the motor(s) are not unlatching and you might have to take the covers off the motors and see if you can manually unlatch the motors from the drives.
Hope this helps some. I am no expert but I do have a 1 meg file that might be useful on the top....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am also having a problem with my top it sounded like gears grinding pop pop pop when the rear cover could try to open for the top to go down into, so i pulled the trunk acces panel and pulled on some stuff and evidently released the rear cover from its drivetrain and so i can pull it up manually and let the top go down into it and then close it myself.. HOW DO I RE ENGAGE THIS? reset? i used to have the top manual but dont on my new computer.. my email is [email protected] any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You did pull the fuse #7 in the front fuse box when you when to reset the top?
I'm having a similar issue with my semiautomatic 1996. I read the instructions for reset and didn't see anytihng about fuse#7. At what point do you do that?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
part of the way

OK< I found the file on line at Bently. I did the steps and the boot has locked. No luck. My top will not initialize. Any suggestoins?

·
MrJanka
159 Posts
TO RE-ENGAGE THE MOTOR

^ re engage the motor.

To do this make sure the lever with the orange strap under the rear drivers side seat is put back to it's neutral position (pushed towards rear of car). Open trunk, remove the carpeting from the rear mid section wall of trunk. The motor is on the left hand side. You'll see it - since it's disengaged half of the motor will be hanging down. Grab the hanging half of the motor and push it up so the gear spline goes back into the housing. In order for it too pop back in must push it up and pull towards you in unison.

This doesn't Take much force and it usually pops right back in-fairly easy process after the first attempt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts