BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Z4M convertible, when I press the top open button the motor disengages the roof then stops running, just leaving the top in the unlatched position. The tray in the trunk was fully lowered. Can someone point me in a direction.
thanks much.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
First on the list would be the hydraulic pump motor. Have you noticed that the top seems to be moving slower lately?

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
The corrosion that kills the motors doesn't take a break just because you haven't used it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, leaving the car out during some recent severe weather....
Thanks for the insight; I'll get my wrenches out and get to work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am ready to remove the "hoop" but can't figure out what is meant by prying upend pushing to the midline. Where is the pry bar supposed to exert the pressure, where is the leverage pushing against ( a block of wood under the hoop to provide the fulcrum?) Anyone with a little experience to share this with me would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
If you've got all the bolts out that hold the hoop to the body, and you have the two forward ends pulled out of the clips, then what you're needing to do is make the hoop smaller than the opening in the body. You do that by pushing the ends in, then the whole hoop forward, and then lift it up above the body in the center rear and then work your way from the center to the outside until it's free. It's easiest to do this as you lift the top free from the car because it makes more room for the hoop to move forward.

If you haven't put tape down to protect the paint in the area around the top, now is the time to do it. I put a layer of blue painter tape down, then I put duct tape on top of that in the area immediately around the top opening since the painter tape is very durable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dc_wright. I appreciate the caution for protecting the body. The trouble I'm having is getting the two ends pulled out of the clips at this point.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Thanks dc_wright. I appreciate the caution for protecting the body. The trouble I'm having is getting the two ends pulled out of the clips at this point.
This part is a real PITA the first time you do it. Being able to see the hoop in the clip helped me a lot, both getting it out the first time and then getting it back in. Last time I had the top assembly out I put the hoop ends back in place from inside the car where I could see the clips.

Here's what I did to make room so I could see the clips and work from inside the car looking under the bottom edge of the headliner:

- Remove the headrests from the seats. (May need to put the top down for clearance)
- Move the seats fully forward and set as low as it will go.
- Put the seat back as far back as it will go. (Use caution not to crunch any loose parts from the rear plastics)
- Set a flash light or work light in the area just above the storage tray hinges pointing toward the front of the car.

Now you should be able to peek under the headliner and see the clip holding the ends of the hoop. I was able to take plastic body tool and hook it behind the hoop and just pop it out.

I'd do the passenger side first as there's no hydraulic lines running by it so you can clearly see the clip. On the driver side you have hydraulic lines running across the front of the hoop.

It may also help to pry slightly on the outside part of the top to roll the top part of the hoop end inward as that's what has to happen for it to release from the clip. Do so very carefully as you don't want to damage your top canvas.

I have a spare clip at home and I'll try to take a photo of it tonight so you can see how it holds the hoop if you're still struggling with this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dc_wright, I appreciate your detailed description for the hoop clip. With it, I was able to better visualize how to unhook the hoop from the clip. Now that its off...it was easy. Ha Ha.
I appreciate your time and patience.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Glad it worked out! Once you get eyes on, it does help a lot. Same goes come time to reinstall the top.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I guess its a bad sign when water runs out of the motor...ha ha.
Found a leaf covering the drain hole.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Actually that's a good sign. It means the diagnosis of a bad motor due to the typical Z4 flooding is correct. :)

Are you moving the motor to the trunk or doing Shipkillers sealing fix?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hummmm...when reinstalling the top I must have bumped the metal fitting on the short hose going to the driver's side hydraulic from the pump and the fitting came out of the cylinder. It looks like its pressed into the housing and the hose; does this mean hose and cylinder replacement?
Your experience is welcomed- thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bamarider1, you remember correctly. I found the clip, it had come loose and fallen off. I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
3 month new pump and unable to have top operate. Everything else works ,Windows, unlock, lock but no movement. Hear the pump but doesn't move. Frustrating at the least

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
3 month new pump and unable to have top operate. Everything else works ,Windows, unlock, lock but no movement. Hear the pump but doesn't move. Frustrating at the least
Check the emergency release cable (red loop at top edge inside the trunk) and make certain it hasn't been partially pulled. If the relief valve is moved even slightly off it's seat in the pump body the hydraulic cylinders are bypassed and you get the pump motor running but no top movement.

Also check under the car approximately parallel with the door post and see if there's any oily residue on bottom on either side of the car. If there is then you've got a lift cylinder leak and the system is low on fluid and that's why no top movement. That is unless your drains are clogged and you've got a flooded motor again. :-(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts