Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

- 1997 328iC

When I first bought this piece of work the top at least went up and down, manually, perfectly fine. Two months later the top wasn't going back up it stopped at the tension point and the headliner motor/hex key hole turned but wouldn't move the locking clamps/whatever pulls the top up. It was raining and i was desperate so I had some guys help me get it back up and locked in. Now i want to actually fix it so i can manually put the top up and down again. Here are some details.

* Hex Key hole turns but pushes in and pulls out easily
* when hex key hole turns none of the parts in the headliner( i think that's what it's called) move like they should to unlock top ( obviously)
* trunk only opens/locks when weights are put on the right side of the storage bay lid
* motors are engaged
* when i forced it back up could I have possibly messed it up more?

Any sort of ideas of what could be wrong or tips on how to figure it out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Side Note: I'm a 24 year old female who didn't listen to her mechanic father who lives 1000 miles away when he said fixing up a BMW on your own is a pain in the a$$. :angel:

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,353 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with on on the the on the complaint department,
I have a convertible top and get water in the trunk every time it rains what a piece of high end ---/ headache. I feel ya!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
On one of your issues...the trunk lock unlock issue there is a sensor in the passenger side roof well that engages when the rear deck is properly closed. Putting weigh on it means you ought to be able to hear that sensor click shut. In other words your deck is nt bedding down correctly. It's most likely binding because the roof itself is nt folding down cleanly. So you need to rectify that for starters. Can't help on the other stuff but am sure others can.
BTW l did the Velcro roof tensioner supplement fix and it's worked a treat. Cost... $6. Two hours labour.
Steve.
England

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Steve, wow! great piece of advice, I will look into a roof tensioner kit if the top is not seating properly, on visual inspection it looks like it does but I need to check the sensor too. I will post results, in meantime I have a swimming pool in the trunk. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts