BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for that pad feels like oem and better and dust not as much as oem. I also wanted a pad that was great for aggressive driving and hard stops. I did tons of research and settled on cool carbon s/t plus pads. This is cool carbon's latest formula. I ordered a set(front only) from Bravarian autosport this past Tuesday and installed the pads on Thursday night in my garage. I made sure I followed the bedding instructions to the T. Which was a series of 10 to 12 progressive stops from 70mps to 10mps and after a long drive to cool the brakes down before coming to a complete stop. Its Sunday and I'm pretty impressed with these pads.

By now my wheels would of been covered in black brake dust and they are not. These pads dust a lot less than the textar and Jurid and yet has great initial bite and the pads are quiet. Besides the dust factor inital bite was a big driver in why i choose to go Cool Carbon S/T plus. The pads have shims on the each side of the pads and look serious. The packaging and pad presentation is also petty nice. These pads were tested on the autobahn and developed in Germany. I've only driven about 120 miles so far on these pads and they are still breaking in but so far I've very impressed. I will chime in from time to time with updates both good and bad.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468800455.453946.jpg Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Nice write up Jay. I've been debating these pads for a while. Nice MotorSport decal on your caliper. Looks tasteful. Thanks again for the write up

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without looking for myself, are these street pads? I'm intrigued. can you compare to akebono?
Kurt. These pads double as a street and track pad. However if you're a very conservative driver meaning you drive no faster than the speed limit and give your self enough car lengths before stopping then I would say in my humble opinion that these pads are not for that demographic. If you are a spirited driver and throw your car into turns and at times follow way to close to the car in front of you while doing 80mps and need to stop on a dime from speeds in excess of 60 mph, then these pads would be a good fit. Spirited driving along with spirited braking on a pad like cool carbon st plus help keep that transfer material from the pads to rotor consistent and fresh.

I have never used akebono but have heard nothing but good things about them. I used paigid reds, boshe and oem pads only. What kept from using akebono was that i read that initial bite is slightly less than oem but stopping is equivalent without all the dust. I didnt want that because initial bite is key to me. Initial bite gives me confidence in my braking and helps me better predict my stops. Cool carbon st plus have great initial bite and is on par with oem. I only drove 120 miles so far on these pads and im still feeling these pads out but so far, so great. My goal is to find a pad that has better inital bite than oem, are rotor friendly, and dust less than oem. Dust is ok with me but i hated having black wheels one day after cleaning my wheels. I wanted to go from cleaning my wheels every other day to once a week at that, the dust should be light.
I can say my wheels are lot cleaner nowadays. Hope this helped.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,963 Posts
I'd like to hear back after a year or two to see how your rotors held up. I'm skeptical of a street/track pad. There's a compromise somewhere in there.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to hear back after a year or two to see how your rotors held up. I'm skeptical of a street/track pad. There's a compromise somewhere in there.
Cool Carbon does claim that their pads are rotor friendly however I will determine and verify their claim after about a year or two of use. There is no perfect pad but im on a quest to find that one that comes close to perfection of better than oem stopping power, bite, low dust , quiet, and rotor friendly. We shall see...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jaystyles - are the S/T Plus brake pads still good for you?

Considering S/T Plus for my cars which need brakes now (E60 and E90), long term reviews are hard to find!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, what rotors did you use: OE, Zimmerman, etc....thanks!
2007 525xi. The Cool Carbon pads shredded a set of Zimmerman rotors in about 10k Miles. Swapped out to Meyle and only lasted another 5k. Back to OEM dust and all for me. I won't waste that much money again. Last oem set of rotors and pads went 45k. I now have 189k on the car and plan on keeping it for another 60-100k

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Jaystyles - are the S/T Plus brake pads still good for you?

Considering S/T Plus for my cars which need brakes now (E60 and E90), long term reviews are hard to find!
Dr. T

I'm using Zimmerman rotors with S/T's.
S/T's are good. They dust a lot less than OEM but they still dust(good pads dust). I went from cleaning Wheels daily to a quick clean once a week. The S/T's are good on my Zimmerman rotors. The S/T's has a good bite but OEM bite is the best in my opinion. Will I do the S/T's again? Maybe if they ever go on sale. I'm going with the dusty OEM textar pads($70)on my next brake job. I like a grabby and strong initial bite. I'll live with the dust. I've been reading a lot about Textars's epad which is suppose to be less dust. The S/T's were not cheap I paid $147 for them. I think cool carbon is a great overall brand. If you go with cool carbon please post a review. let us know what you end up with!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I put S/T Plus on my fronts and S/T on the rear in Feb, about 8K miles ago. I kept the stock rotors but wanted less dust and equal bite. To me, the initial bite is as good or better than stock. No unusual noises or pedal feel but I'll check for rotor damage when my winter tires go on today.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put S/T Plus on my fronts and S/T on the rear in Feb, about 8K miles ago. I kept the stock rotors but wanted less dust and equal bite. To me, the initial bite is as good or better than stock. No unusual noises or pedal feel but I'll check for rotor damage when my winter tires go on today.
Thanks for your feed back ripper.
S/T are suppose be rotor friendly.
Again they are doing well on my rotors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts