BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have an ABS light that is on and is related to a wheel speed sensor, and my question is on a 1994 will the code be displayed with the gas pedal trick? If not, what is the best tool to check this code? Also, for those of you with four doors, will the window lock out button lock all the windows except for the driver's door, and does it lock the switches on the center console or only at the rear doors?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Isn't the ABS light related to the ABS sensors on each wheel? I didn't think anything else set that light off. Unless you mean the ABS sensor?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
No, pedal trick only displays emissions-related issues. You'd need the BMW diagnostic machine to access that info, from what I understand. Do you have traction control (ASC)? If you have it, and don't have the light on for it as well, it sounds like the problem could be more serious than just wheel speed sensors. Hopefully that's not the case here.

K, no, there are things like the ABS module that can trip the light, and the wheel speed sensor is necessary to tell the ABS computer when to engage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ahh, just wondering as I had my ABS light come on a couple of months ago and just replaced the two front ABS sensors to fix it. Turned out the driver side front one had the end smashed off of it somehow. I presume ABS sensors are just another name for wheel speed sensors? So in an ODBII car it would just tell you exactly which wheel the sensor has gone in, no?

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a 1994 so no ASC here. However, after cleaning the sensors, the light comes on a lot less. Can I just check the resistence of the senors individually to find out if one is bad? Chad, is the diagnostics machine the one that plugs into the round plug under the hood, not sure where to plug in since I have an OBD I car.
thanks

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Criss,
Small technical detail - 94s definitely can have ASC. Just FYI.

If it comes on less after cleaning, looks like it's probably just a wheel speed sensor. That's good.
You could probably check individually with a multimeter. I don't know what spec is, but if you find that's far different then there's a fair indication it's bad. The diagnostic machine would be the one that plugs in the round connector, yes.

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my bad, i thought the ASC came with the switch on the center console, and I don't have that. There is not a light on in the cluster for it so I suppose that means it is working.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Oh my bad, i thought the ASC came with the switch on the center console, and I don't have that. There is not a light on in the cluster for it so I suppose that means it is working.
Chad just meant 1994 cars can have ASC or not as the case may be, but if you don't have the button on the console, that does unfortunately mean you don't have it.

The window lock button only prevents the rear window buttons from functioning - it's only to stop one's annoying rug rats from using the windows. :rofl:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Chad just meant 1994 cars can have ASC or not as the case may be, but if you don't have the button on the console, that does unfortunately mean you don't have it.
Right. It was available on 94s, I think part of the cold weather package with heated seats and LSD if I remember correctly. Not all of them had it, I just mean that being a 94 doesn't automatically exclude it from having ASC :)

No switch = No ASC

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get it! Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts