BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 330i ZHP bought in the USA (not European Delivery). Try this:

1) Park your car on the right side of the road.
2) Remove your key and push your turn signal (down) for a left blink.
3) Get out of your car, lock it, and observe the left taillight: it should be on.

My German officemate showed me this neat trick. We have directional parking lights that can be left on. The idea behind this is that in the example above, since the left side of your car (roadside) is lit when parked on the right of the road, your car is less likely to be hit.

Cool. I don't recall seeing this anywhere in the driver's manual.

Personally, I don't do this since I'd worry that it would also draw thieves' and/or vandals' attention.

Just an FYI . . .

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
SizzlerMA said:
Cool. I don't recall seeing this anywhere in the driver's manual.
Its under "Standing Lamps, Left or Right" in the owners manual. :angel:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
tagheuer said:
won't this wear down the battery? Or a few hours doesn't matter...?
The same as normal parking lights. Actually, not a much because only one side of the lights in on. A modern battery in good condition should last days in that state. Plus, I would think the LED taillights in my 330Ci have a very low current draw compared to a standard bulb. Still, never have used the feature since trying it during delivery.

·
Drives cars for a living!
3,935 Posts
This is a very common feature for the EU. It is because in most small towns you have to park half the car on the sidewalk and half the car on the road. The road is not wide enough for 2 cars to pass by a parked car in this situation. The left light is so the car is more visible, especially at night.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
epbrown said:
This has long been standard in European cars; my 1983 Porsche does this.

Emanuel
Sometime these nice European feautures do not make stateside because of the importers. My 318ti did not have that abiity though my parent's 1967 German Ford Taunus 17m did. There are other things lke side blinkers (finally all european car importers have seen the light), rear forglights (BMWNA still does not allow its implementation), adjusting headlight aiming levels, city lights (similar in concept to angel eyes, low level illumination of the headlight reflectors), automatic folding outside mirrors (finally being allowed by BMWNA), etc.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
LDV330i said:
There are other things like... rear forglights
I had a rear left-side foglight on my C240. I've seen other MB's and some Volvos running on a clear night with the rear fog on -- very annoying. Makes it look like the brake light is on and burnt out on the other side....They probably don't even know they have it on :confused: .

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
LDV330i said:
Sometime these nice European feautures do not make stateside because of the importers. My 318ti did not have that abiity though my parent's 1967 German Ford Taunus 17m did. There are other things lke side blinkers (finally all european car importers have seen the light), rear forglights (BMWNA still does not allow its implementation), adjusting headlight aiming levels, city lights (similar in concept to angel eyes, low level illumination of the headlight reflectors), automatic folding outside mirrors (finally being allowed by BMWNA), etc.
Is "adjusting headlight aiming levels" similar to the self leveling feature that my "Adaptive Xenon" HID's go through each time I start the car?

--J.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
JonathanIT said:
Is "adjusting headlight aiming levels" similar to the self leveling feature that my "Adaptive Xenon" HID's go through each time I start the car?

--J.
In Europe the law requires that Xenons be self adjusting (In the US no such requirement exists). For cars with halogens you can re-aim you headlights from inside your car . The picture below is the headlight switch assembly for an Open Vectra, sorry could not find one for a BMW. Please note the rotary knobs at the bottom of the assembly. The right one is for dimming the dashboard lights. The one to the left is to level the lights. The graphic is a headlamp with an arc that has arrowheads at each end.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
epbrown said:
The only feature I really miss on US cars is how holding down the lock button doesn't close the windows and sunroof the way holding down the open button opens them.

Emanuel
It is because of our lawsuit happy country. In the E36 US version there was no auto close for the sunroof although it was standard in Europe.

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
LDV330i said:
In Europe the law requires that Xenons be self adjusting (In the US no such requirement exists). For cars with halogens you can re-aim you headlights from inside your car . The picture below is the headlight switch assembly for an Open Vectra, sorry could not find one for a BMW. Please note the rotary knobs at the bottom of the assembly. The right one is for dimming the dashboard lights. The one to the left is to level the lights. The graphic is a headlamp with an arc that has arrowheads at each end.
So, in answer to my question... if I have the Adaptive Xenons, then I don't need this gizmo because my lights are self leveling?

--J.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Last fall, it was super thick out with fog. Parked my car in front of a friend's house and turned on the left standing lights. Next two people to arrive after me commented that my car's lights were left on. :(

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
JonathanIT said:
So, in answer to my question... if I have the Adaptive Xenons, then I don't need this gizmo because my lights are self leveling?

--J.
Yeah.. I suppose. There's another roadfly link where meem commented that the self leveling module only changes the initial height of the lights. According to him, they do work but on such a small scale that it probably won't be very useful.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
JonathanIT said:

--J.
LDV330i said:
In Europe the law requires that Xenons be self adjusting (In the US no such requirement exists). For cars with halogens you can re-aim you headlights from inside your car .
:confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.