Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if anyone else has had this experience or not but I thought I would share. I recently upgraded my Smart phone to a Samsung Galaxy S2. Previously I had a Samsung Focus running Windows phone 7 with the latest Mango update. Here is what I have found and why I think it is. The I-drive is based on a windows platform so I am told. The Galaxy S2 is based on the Google Android platform. The windows phone would sync with the Bluetooth system in my car every time perfectly. But here is the best part. When I got a text message it would ask if I wanted it read to me. I could reply "yes". It would then ask me if I would like to reply. It would then allow me to speak my text message and review it before it sent it. I thought this feature was awesome! It modernizes the car with current features found on the newer models. Now that I am on the Android platform, it syncs maybe 10% of the time and once I pair them up it will last maybe 48 hours. I wish there was a way to get the feature on the Android because the voice-to-text feature on the windows mobile phone was very slick. Any else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My android works fine, I also have the same feature as you. All the new smart phones come with voice recognition application.

·
Registered
145 Posts
no, were are discussing voice to text on your smart phone and the pairing situation. I have never had to re-sync or re-pair my android.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the car will read the text message to me, and will then ask me if I want to respond. The Idrive will make the beep noise and and I can dictate a text message all hands free through the Bluetooth in the Idrive. I don't think TK123 understood what I was saying. I will try and make a video to show you what I mean.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yessssssss..Please post a video of this. Unlike most people, I'm a text WHORE and would love that feature. I Currently have a Motorola Droid but would drop it like a hot potato for a Samsung if that was the case.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will post a video this weekend, it is pretty slick. I think because they are both windows based operating systems they're more communication options. I wish there was a way to add the windows mobile Bluetooth protocol to my Galaxy S2.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a Samssung SKyrocket which is great phone but the Windows phone feature sounds pretty damn tempting right now

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
It's more likely the bluetooth implementation.

Bluetooth as a standard has a ton of cool features, but many of them are optional. It is up to the manufacturer of the device to decide which features it wants to include. It sounds like your old windows phone had a more feature rich implementation of BT than the android. There is also an issue of compatibility. Bluetooth as a standard has gotten a bit of flak for not adequately defining the features, so some manufacturers implement them in slightly different ways, which can produce problems.

As far as I know the E63's iDrive doesn't have any speech to text capability. It is more likely the phone's capabilities were pushing through BT to the car's sound system, using the speakers and the microphone to communicate with the phone's voice recognition software. Either way, it is an awesome feature to have!

I need to seriously reconsider my current car fleet and get BACK into a 6er! :thumbup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is more likely the phone's capabilities were pushing through BT to the car's sound system, using the speakers and the microphone to communicate with the phone's voice recognition software. Either way, it is an awesome feature to have!
Yes that is exactly what it is doing. The Bluetooth implementation on the Windows Phone is what is controlling the Idrive voice control. I was hoping there were other phones that did the same thing, but it appears that as for now it's a windows mobile feature only. You can imagine my surprise when I did the Mango update on the Windows Phone and received my first text message. The music stopped and the phone through the car speakers says: "New message received from Kate Beckinsale." "You can say read it, or ignore" Once you say "read it" the message is read to you. Then you can say "reply" and it will dictate your message. Video coming tomorrow.

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
You know Kate Beckinsale?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tic Toc Tic Toc.....I'll be waiting for the video tomorrow. I can't wait for you to post the video.....but no pressure...Just post it tomorrow and we'll ALL be happy, but no worries.

TOMORROW, CANT WAIT..BUT NO PRESSURE..... . . . TOMORROW.... ... ..:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not an App. Windows Mobile had an update to their software about six months ago called the "mango" update. I am sure any new windows mobile phone would do the same thing out of the box.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts