BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Its a 760li 2003 E66 with 120k mi. I first noticed steam, and large puddle when I pulled over and attempted to refill. :mad: Its an extreme leak - like maybe a hose popped loose? Overheat warnings also.

Source looks like it is on the DS behind the radiator - but can't see through the fan & radiator - pretty tight.

Before i dig in
1) What should I expect - water pump weep hole issue? Anything else that is commonplace?
2) I worked alot on my 740 but this car (760) seems more intimidating. Do I have a reasonable chance of figuring this out on my own?
3) I don't think I need to remove the fender - or do I? Looks like removing radiator and fan are my first steps - and they slide up once detached?

Have been digging through other post - but haven't yet found one that really fits yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome to 760 ownership. Don't worry about getting into the front of the car. Comes apart just like your 740 did. Provided you're talking about an E 66 model. There's a cover at the top of the radiator assembly,pull it off. (Screwed on) You'll have some electrical connections for the fan unit that's not on your 740. Other than that it's pretty straightforward. If it's a big gush of fluid I don't think it's a weep hole issue. The cooling tank reservoir is on the 760 or similar to the 750's They are a weak link. Difficult to spot when they burst. But they do. Paper is correct pull the covers off the engine. They're just held on with the rubber plug in a pin, just give them a little tug. Be advised the pins are plastic. And they snap off easily. Don't worry if you snap one off the cover will still stay on. Several of mine have snapped off over the years and my cover still in place. You won't have to remove the fenders to do anything. But you might have to pull the front bumper cover off to start doing things in the front. But that's another project in the future for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts