BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 97 540 coolant light popped on. thought maybe just an air bubble in the system topped it off about a week later yet again "low coolat" i checked the oil dipstick and cap to see if it had a nasty white build up on it (bad head gasket) looked good to go. NOthing is leaking on the ground. I thought maybe heater but it seems to be working fine no moist windshield. I have no idea where the coolant is going? Is there anything i can check? I know my way around a car but this is just crazy, my next step was to get a coolant presure tester and see if i can see anything that way, but that is money i currently do not have. Any help would be great. Even some commonly known places for it to leak would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Sounds to me

Like the Valley Pan leak...do some research on it...I have to do mine this winter...

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
yup most likely the valley pan gasket. mine is in the shop right now for it. pull your engine cover off and look to the rear where the intake meets the motor and you will probably see a puddle of coolant . It's expensive but it's more expensive to let it overheat when you don't have enought coolant in the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts