BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning getting ready to go to work I was expecting to have a wonderful christmas eve enjoying the cruise in my e39, once I crank her up everything seemed fine so before heading to work I take a trip to the gas station to get me a drink, so after that I venture on to my job enjoying the cruise in my e39...once I arrived I enter the parking and all of a sudden I see alot of smoke coming out the hood of my car I looked at the temp gauge and it wasnt overheating, so I quickly park my car.. I pop the hood and I see smoke coming out of the front passenger side of my car where the air filter is I also seen coolant splashed everywhere, I looked under car and it was pouring antifreeze right underneath the front passenger side of my car..what could be the problem?? HELP

PS: Once I got off work I experienced the same thing it began smoking under the hood of my car (right passenger side) and it would leak antifreeze real bad :(

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Radiator or hose must be leaking.

·
Registered
131 Posts
passenger side no visible breakage from the top could be lower rad hose or bottom of expansion tank. Figures my 540 blessed me as well with a busted upper rad outlet coupling this week. Lower hose is 17 on autohausaz good luck.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Check your two heater hoses in the back manifold to heater core:

Hose F Engine Inlet & Water Valve 64218391005
Hose F Radiator & Engine Return 64218391013

Those are usually the first to develop leaks and are located between the two cabin filters.

For peace of mind, while you are at it, replace all cooling system hoses since that are nearly 14 years old by now. Or just replace what hasn't by now.

Here is a list of all hoses, all 8 hoses together should be less than $100 and last another 10 years:

http://www.eaceuroparts.com/content...-e39-540i-thru-898-cooling-system-parts-list/

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check the hose that runs across the top of the radiator to the expansion tank. The nipple might have broken off, it happened to my 97 540i. Check all of the hoses of the cooling system.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
I would bet on the expansion tank. Time or a cooling system overhaul.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
is it expensive to repair??
You have your basic cooling system overhaul in front of you.

It cost me about 500 or so in parts from Oembimmerparts.

It will cost you double if you farm it out.

Since it's likely the most common problem on this forum, you can't help but find every single thing you need already posted when you do a search for "cooling system overhaul".

Good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
Registered
224 Posts
take off the expansion tank. remove the bleed screw and the plastic around the screw and the expansion tank will semi fall out and only be held by the hose at the bottom. it will give you a chance to check for damages.

if not maybe lightly squeeze the hose connected to bottom of expansion tank, see if theres any damage.

it could also be the radiator plastic endtanks itself....

goodluck!

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I got it fixed at a local bmw dealer shop, come to find out it was a cracked upper hose that goes to the manifold guy charged me 160.32 for parts and labor

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Thanks guys I got it fixed at a local bmw dealer shop, come to find out it was a cracked upper hose that goes to the manifold guy charged me 160.32 for parts and labor
So, one of the two mentioned previously above?

Hose F Engine Inlet & Water Valve 64218391005
Hose F Radiator & Engine Return 64218391013

Hose number should be on the work order they gave you.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
This means you have a good opportunity to plan a total cooling system overhaul, as Bluebee discussed above. Water pump, coolant reservoir, thermostat, hoses, radiator and more tend to fail within a short period of each other. It's best to take care of this pre-emptively because overheating can severely damage the cylinder head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts