BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a coolant leak. It appears to be by the gearbox but it's a little crowded around there and I can't see. There aren't any leaks around the radiator. Any ideas what this may be and how to fix it?

·
Dinggg....what now!
1,074 Posts
the gearbox oil is cooled by the oil cooler located between the radiator and the a/c condensor,so there is no question of engine coolant leaking nearby the gearbox.i would suspect the heater hoses (3 of them) that enters and exits the firewall to be leaking and streams down to the gearbox area.watch the coolant level.it is also tight at where the firewall heater hoses are but a leak must be fixed pronto.

Attachments

·
Dinggg....what now!
1,074 Posts
don't know as i have not done it before but it will require the lh cabin air filter housing removal and maybe the inlet manifold for better access...

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
This could be the valley pan leaking. That leak usually drains down the sides of the tranny and drips off of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thanks for the prompt replies. This is an amazingly educational website. I've just discovered how to remove the air ducts for the heating. Looks hard but is simple, unclip and turn 45 degrees anti-clockwise.

This is a good web site for replacing the valley pan

http://members.cox.net/rlacm/IntakeIndex.htm

I've found no blue goo around the back of the block. The hoses to the heater matrix all look tight with no evidence of leaks. A lot of the jubilee clips were loose, hopefully, tightening these will have a positive effect.

I'm sneaking off to wash my car. We've being encouraged to limit water use due to recents earthquakes, Christchurch. It's covered in poo type silt from liquification. I reckon if I don't shower for 5 days that's the same as a car wash.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
There is a thread with lots of details on how this V8-only contraption works with respect to coolant and the transmission.

Slash F3 for "valley pan" in the bestlinks:
- V8 VALLEY PAN GASKETS LEAK: poorly designed V8 valley pan gaskets that leak coolant (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, this may be a daft question but,
What is the harm with letting the coolant leak and filling it up?

This one isn't such a stupid question
How can I tell if it's the valley pan leaking without removing heaps of bits?
I can't see any obvious signs around the rear of the engine. The coolant seems to drip from the passenger side. It's a right hand drive as nature intended them to be

·
Under the lift arms
13,166 Posts
Most people don't know this, but on the tu motor there is a by pass plate that goes from the left side to the right side of the block, just under the heads, sorta behind the flywheel, the only way to get to that is removing the tranny.

It often is mistaken for a valley pan, as the coolest collects at the same spot on the tranny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts