BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 328i
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had the car parked for about a month now, only drove it for a few minutes here and there in between repairs.

I noticed a wet spot under the front bumper forming. It seems that it drips a very small amount each day onto the ground, but I never noticed this when the car was being used often. Can this be caused from it sitting for so long?

After checking, it seems to be very blue coolant leaking off the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator.

After checking above it, I can't tell if it's coming out right above the drain plug, or on the connection on top of the radiator.

Don't worry, not planning to even start it until the coolant leak is fixed and filled back up.

Is it possible it is leaking out of the ends of both of these tubes? Or is it most likely leaking from the top tube and dripping down? Looks like I'm gonna need to borrow a jack and get to work.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,054 Posts
It looks like you have some hoses that are Frankensteined together. That clamp is not an OEM part. It may be time to do a cooling system refresh

·
Registered
2007 328i
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like you have some hoses that are Frankensteined together. That clamp is not an OEM part. It may be time to do a cooling system refresh
so you mean the hose with the clamp is not supposed to be clamped? Can I just buy a new hose and plug it in?

Assuming I’m gonna have to flush the coolant and bleed the air out after

·
Registered
2007 328i
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Houston we have a problem... the hose seems to go so far back I can’t even see the end of it. I’m afraid to take too much shit off that I don’t know anything about. I pulled the air filter box out already and still can’t see the other end of this hose.

Clearly the last guy clamped this thing super tight before, was probably leaking then too. I mean it’s so tight the hose rubber is squeezing through the clamp holes. It even looks like some rubber patch is on the hose and there’s a perfect little drop of coolant sitting below there too (bottom of picture).

Should I try to get as far back as I can? It looks like it wraps to the back of the engine.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
2007 328i
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the hose. It’s hose 1 in this diagram: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Still have found nothing anywhere on how to get it out and replaced. 1 comment said you shouldn’t have to remove anything more than the air filter box... we shall see

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,637 Posts
Found the hose. It’s hose 1 in this diagram: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
Still have found nothing anywhere on how to get it out and replaced. 1 comment said you shouldn’t have to remove anything more than the air filter box... we shall see
Yes, the RealOEM.com diagram you show, Part#1, is the Heater Supply hose. Note that Supply hose has "Quick Connect" fittings on either end. They are "QUICK" ONLY if you can access them. :giggle: The Return Hose, #2 as shown in diagram, has a Spring Clamp on it. That Return Hose is located ABOVE the Supply hose, and blocks access to the "Quick Connect" fitting of the Supply Hose at the firewall. An ISTA ScreenPrint showing (roughly ;-) those two fittings at the firewall is attached. That is from a procedure for completely removing the Climate Control Unit, so do NOT do anything more than removing the CLAMPS/Fittings which are labeled "1" in the attached Diagram. NOT the nuts or anything else.

I would suggest first draining several quarts of coolant from the system so you don't get coolant everywhere when removing the connector in next step. THEN carefully remove the Forward Heater Supply Quick Connect Fitting from the Top Radiator Hose "T", making sure you do NOT TWIST, ONLY Jiggle, and support/grip Plastic Fitting ABOVE Heater Supply Hose. 14+ Year-Old Plastic is VERY brittle, and you can break other things. Finesse vs. Force.

If you are able to get the Front Quick Connect Fitting off, I would suggest carefully trying to remove the "BODGE" hose clamp, and see if you can get the OLD hose off the Plastic Fitting without breaking the fitting. If you CAN, you MAY be able to "Re-Bodge" the fitting with new clamp and a trimmed hose.

I would order a replacement hose (and any other broken parts, such as chassis clamps or Top Radiator Hose) from a supplier such as the following:

If your hose is still in good shape, EXCEPT for the Bodge, and it's too difficult to access the rear fitting at the firewall, then you could always simply cut the Old & NEW Hoses near a Chassis Clamp, get a "Double-Male Connector" or "Barbed Fitting" and two hose clamps, and splice new to old hose near chassis clamp.

If you would take the time to do photos and brief description of Steps Taken, that would be a big help to the Forum, as there is NOTHING in Bentley, and very little in ISTA. Also please identify your US 2007 Vehicle's build Month & Year. There seem to have been differences in the Heater Lines for later vehicles, between Valeo & Denso Heaters, etc.
George

Product Organism Map World Font Font Screenshot Rectangle Carnivore Big cats

·
Registered
2007 328i
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, thanks ou for the reply. I’ve been putting off the job due to how complicated it is, but I’ll be ordering the new hose soon, draining the coolant and attempting to fit the new one on. Will update on how it goes 👍

·
Registered
2007 328i
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the RealOEM.com diagram you show, Part#1, is the Heater Supply hose. Note that Supply hose has "Quick Connect" fittings on either end. They are "QUICK" ONLY if you can access them. :giggle: The Return Hose, #2 as shown in diagram, has a Spring Clamp on it. That Return Hose is located ABOVE the Supply hose, and blocks access to the "Quick Connect" fitting of the Supply Hose at the firewall. An ISTA ScreenPrint showing (roughly ;-) those two fittings at the firewall is attached. That is from a procedure for completely removing the Climate Control Unit, so do NOT do anything more than removing the CLAMPS/Fittings which are labeled "1" in the attached Diagram. NOT the nuts or anything else.

I would suggest first draining several quarts of coolant from the system so you don't get coolant everywhere when removing the connector in next step. THEN carefully remove the Forward Heater Supply Quick Connect Fitting from the Top Radiator Hose "T", making sure you do NOT TWIST, ONLY Jiggle, and support/grip Plastic Fitting ABOVE Heater Supply Hose. 14+ Year-Old Plastic is VERY brittle, and you can break other things. Finesse vs. Force.

If you are able to get the Front Quick Connect Fitting off, I would suggest carefully trying to remove the "BODGE" hose clamp, and see if you can get the OLD hose off the Plastic Fitting without breaking the fitting. If you CAN, you MAY be able to "Re-Bodge" the fitting with new clamp and a trimmed hose.

I would order a replacement hose (and any other broken parts, such as chassis clamps or Top Radiator Hose) from a supplier such as the following:

If your hose is still in good shape, EXCEPT for the Bodge, and it's too difficult to access the rear fitting at the firewall, then you could always simply cut the Old & NEW Hoses near a Chassis Clamp, get a "Double-Male Connector" or "Barbed Fitting" and two hose clamps, and splice new to old hose near chassis clamp.

If you would take the time to do photos and brief description of Steps Taken, that would be a big help to the Forum, as there is NOTHING in Bentley, and very little in ISTA. Also please identify your US 2007 Vehicle's build Month & Year. There seem to have been differences in the Heater Lines for later vehicles, between Valeo & Denso Heaters, etc.
George

View attachment 1037039 View attachment 1037040
Hello, I finally got the heater hose for replacement. I’m not sure where to get the software called INPA or ISTA D, but I have the cord for it and a windows 10 laptop.
I just need to figure out if I can simply swap the hoses or if I need to to some draining coolant / bleeding etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts