BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How much have you spent for an alternator job?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found excessive coolant leaks under my car :eek:
Is there a way I can check where the leak is coming from and possibly a DIY to fix?

I'm not familiar on working under the hood and every time I take it to the shop my bill is sky high from labor. Any advise would be appreciated :thumbup: I have a 2007 530XI with 130K miles.

·
Propellers Up Front
2,007 Posts
Remove the splash shield underneath, with a flashlight you'll probably see the actual source at that mileage.
Either way, if nothing has been done to that cooling system in that time frame, then its time for a COMPLETE overhaul.
DIY's are floating around the web, but if you're not farmiliar with under your hood you should take it to an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a radiator hose on the passenger side of the car, look down and see if the sensor that goes inside of it is wet, also the hose maybe wet as well. If so you will need to start by replacing just the sensor. Some folks try and price out the lower hose as well as the sensor but theres a 99.9% chance its just the sensor and its super easy to install.Pretty common repair on your car.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My 07 530i had the same issue. It turned oit to be the bottom return radiator hose. It only leaked at operating temperature. If not that, try thermostat or yhe water pump. I replaced everything begore finding out it was a radiator hose....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts