BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all its me once again. I have a 2001 330 Ci which i love to death. However after coming back from a road trip to Sonora, the next day my low coolant level light decided to show its bright shiny face on my dash. I checked the level and filled it up. After about two weeks of this the aforementioned light will appear for 10 seconds and then turn off. This only happens in the mornings one first start up. Then i checked the coolant level and and she is low again, I top of the tank and then bam 3 days later same thing. (long story short) I checked under the hood of my baby and saw a puddle of coolant on top of the skid place on the passenger side of the car near the radiator. I haven't been able to get the plate off for a proper look. However i was wondering if my fellow festers could help me out.
1: Has this happened to anyone before, if so what was the cause.
2: Is it serious, money is very tight right now.

Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
520 Posts
your plastic expansion tank needs to be replaced.

it's not serious yet but it will only get worse.

if you are mechanically handy then you can do it yourself.
finally do a search for a DIY

·
Registered
81 Posts
Probably just a hose, but you can't be sure till you remove your skid plate and take a look.

Make sure you catch you anti-freeze and dispose of quickly. Dogs and cats love that stuff, and it will kill them.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,914 Posts
What did you refill your car with when you topped it off?

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,914 Posts
Prestone Generic Premixed Raditor fluid. Im assuming i should have gotten the BMW brand?
No, I don't use that over priced BMW "magic elixir". I was wondering if you put in tap water (as I have before). My car had a leak and I ended up topping it off every few days so I got cheap and started using water. After a while I had added so much water it over boiled and I had a mess. After I refilled it properly with 1 gallon pure antifreeze and 1 gallon of half and half, the problem went away.

I say all that to say that adding too much water can cause evaporation and it can seem like a leak when it isn't.

·
Coupe OR Never
1,444 Posts
Just taking a guess here; it could very well be a leak at where the coolant temperature switch plugs into lower radiator hose. My car needed coolant every now and then but it was so minimal that it didn't bother me. Then couple weeks ago when I removed the splash guard to perform cooling system overhaul, I realized where I was losing coolant.
See the picture. I am not saying that this is the case for your car because the leak needs to be more than a few drops for you to add coolant every couple days. But you never know. This temp sensor and lower radiato hose are located on the passenger side whereas the expansion tank(which is known to go bad around 50k-60k) is on the driver side. Just remove the splash guard and inspect. It will be easy. You will have to get the car on the ramp though...

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all once again.

Finally i was able to get my car up in the air a take a look at her. I think i found the leak and it does seem like it is coming from a hose. However Im going to post some pics to see if you guys might know how to deal with this issue. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the expansion tank, but not through a crack or anything like that. Well ill let the pics speak for themselves. Thanks again guys.

Attachments

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Hey all once again.

Finally i was able to get my car up in the air a take a look at her. I think i found the leak and it does seem like it is coming from a hose. However Im going to post some pics to see if you guys might know how to deal with this issue. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the expansion tank, but not through a crack or anything like that. Well ill let the pics speak for themselves. Thanks again guys.
Well, coolant expansion tanks usually develop hairline cracks that only leak when the car is hot and the coolant is pressurized...

The tank is only $50ish...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Looks like it's time for a cooling system overhaul. The car is 8 yrs old and assuming that you have not changed anything yet, it would be the wisest decision you could make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts