BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. The coolant light came on in my '99 323i the other day. At the same time I noticed that it takes a long time for the temp gauge to reach normal operating temp and even longer to cool off after stopping the engine.

Today I went to add coolant assuming that was the problem, but the reservoir seems full.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It only takes a few ounces low on coolant to initiate the light. The rest is probably your imagination....how do you know it takes longer to cool off? that is a new one on me. there is a float in the radiator and this float needs to be about one inch above the neck for the coolant to be considered full...If you fill it to the top you will blow your expansion tank so be careful topping it off.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,404 Posts
It seems that your thermostat has failed, which they are designed to fail open, so your car will take much longer time to get up to operating temp.

In our cars, a cooling system overhaul is *highly* recommended between 60k and 90k miles. If you have exceeded these miles, you my friend, are dancin with the devil.

This is well documented here, and much information you will find.

Search: cooling overhaul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just know that it takes longer to cool off. For instance, today it is about 55F outside and raining. I spent about an hour and a half in an office and when I came out and started the car, it was already at normal operating temp.

The float in the coolant is floating as high as it can. When I sink it a little, it floats back up until it taps whatever keep is from coming all of the way out. I haven't added any and won't because of that.

I'll check the thermostat. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems that your thermostat has failed, which they are designed to fail open, so your car will take much longer time to get up to operating temp.

In our cars, a cooling system overhaul is *highly* recommended between 60k and 90k miles. If you have exceeded these miles, you my friend, are dancin with the devil.

This is well documented here, and much information you will find.

Search: cooling overhaul
You aint kidding my friend, cost me over $2k, I wish I would have found this site before hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts