BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing a coolant flush using Liqui Moly Radiator Cleaner that I picked up for $6 CAD at a local vendor. I was surprised it was that cheap. This product sells for $15 USD online.

Anyhow, I will be flushing the system tomorrow morning as I am suspecting calcareous deposits within the cooling system. Supposedly, this product works great for this purpose and should be used every 5 years or so. I will do a follow up on this product in the near future.

I have also been monitoring my coolant outlet temperature for the past day due to suspicion of deposits in the radiator.

As I understand, the coolant OUTLET temperature sensor is located on the bottom right of the radiator where the rad hose connects to the water pump. Correct?

When parked, the temperature fluctuates anywhere from 40C to 60C. When driving, I get a steady reading of 20C, give or take a couple degrees.

Is this normal temperature range?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
As I understand, the coolant OUTLET temperature sensor is located on the bottom right of the radiator where the rad hose connects to the water pump. Correct?

When parked, the temperature fluctuates anywhere from 40C to 60C. When driving, I get a steady reading of 20C, give or take a couple degrees.

Is this normal temperature range?
Yes, about right. Specially that it's cold over there.

When driving, the radiator remains cold.
When parked, the thermostat keeps turning on and off, circulating the water in the radiator occasionally.

Just checked one of my test data on the 325i. While the engine temp remained at 93 deg C, I had the following readings for the radiator outlet: 45, 24, 59, 26. Outside temp: 12 deg C.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, about right. Specially that it's cold over there.

When driving, the radiator remains cold.
When parked, the thermostat keeps turning on and off, circulating the water in the radiator occasionally.

Just checked one of my test data on the 325i. While the engine temp remained at 93 deg C, I had the following readings for the radiator outlet: 45, 24, 59, 26. Outside temp: 12 deg C.
Thanks for the raw data... Makes things easier to diagnose... :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts