BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im a new member and have a problem with a car i have in for repair my customer bought it apparently with head gasket failure it had a new waterpump and thermostat already fitted because of over heating so wen the car came in for repair the temp gauge sits halfway but the coolant system was presurising to much so i removed the head had it skimmed and refitted with a new gasket which seemed ok at first the car ran fine for about an hour then started presurising again i dont know if there is an airlock as these are supposed to be a nightmare to bleed it now has me baffeld any ideas :mad: it also will not tickover after being reved since the gasket was done

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ive just tried that and it did seem to work so i left it to cooldown overnight and tried again temprature gauge went up 2 3/4 and no fan cut in ive tried by passing the fan switch and the fan does work then i realised that the radiator was just warm the tophose was hot and the bottom warm so ive flushed full system out with steamcleaner /jetwash incase there was any blockages so ive started slowly bleeding again fingers crossod lol

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
sitting at idle it can take 20 minutes to get the thermostat to open. I find that the stat will open after about 5 miles of driving. That does not indicate a problem, it's just not up to temp yet. These cars operate at 15-30 PSI at the cooling system, which can make the hoses pretty firm to the touch.

The biggest cause of overheat in these cars are leaks and air in the system. Keep it full of coolant without air in there and it will happily run forever. If you have done a head gasket, perform a bleed/fill as mentioned above, then do a cooling system pressure test. Make sure you are not leaking any coolant- carefully examine the hose from the back of the head to the heater valves. If you overheated it good that hose is usually the first to go and can be hard to spot.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
sitting at idle it can take 20 minutes to get the thermostat to open. I find that the stat will open after about 5 miles of driving. That does not indicate a problem, it's just not up to temp yet. These cars operate at 15-30 PSI at the cooling system, which can make the hoses pretty firm to the touch.

The biggest cause of overheat in these cars are leaks and air in the system. Keep it full of coolant without air in there and it will happily run forever. If you have done a head gasket, perform a bleed/fill as mentioned above, then do a cooling system pressure test. Make sure you are not leaking any coolant- carefully examine the hose from the back of the head to the heater valves. If you overheated it good that hose is usually the first to go and can be hard to spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts