BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! I have a serious problem with my coolant. My car is starting to smoke from under the hood and also randomly I would smell a lot of antifreeze through the vents. I change my hoses but I don’t think that’s the problem. It’s not leaking on the floor. But when I inspect under the hood I did see traces of antifreeze but can’t pin point the problem. I have a 2012 650i convertible with xdrive. Does anybody know what’s the culprit and how to fix.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check the gaskets carefully
is there any smoke via the exhausts?
look esp around the turbo area for any signs of coolant or residues

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes there***8217;s white smoke coming from exhaust and there is lil signs of residue as well

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well yes there's white smoke coming from exhaust and there is lil signs of residue as well
Hopefully the coolant residue mentioned is around the turbo
at which point turbo is slowly leaking coolant is suspect which isnt great news
if the residue is coming from the engine block.. big problems
either way you need to find a good indy or take it to the dealer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I jus brought it to a mechanic. I won***8217;t find out until maybe Monday Tuesday the lastest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same issue. It ended up being the coolant vent pipe running from the left to the right bank of cylinders. The part is actually three hoses joined by a Y fitting below and between the turbos. The ABS plastic Y fitting gets brittle from all the heat and cracks before it crumbles apart. I bought an inspection camera from Harbor Freight and found the leak. The hose fitting assembly is about $45 but it's a real project to change due to the location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mechanic actually beat around the bush had my car for 4days then tell me it***8217;s alittle leak coming from the dashboard area possibly the heater core he believes and that he needs it for a couple more days but won***8217;t be able to work on it until Monday. So I***8217;m still confused myself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The mechanic actually beat around the bush had my car for 4days then tell me it's alittle leak coming from the dashboard area possibly the heater core he believes and that he needs it for a couple more days but won't be able to work on it until Monday. So I'm still confused myself.
Hopefully it was just that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts