BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, newbie here ('95 525i, 100k miles)

yesterday it was 100 degrees around here, and in the afternoon my DIY buddy was using my car to get me some supplies, when he called from a mile away saying the temp gauge hit the red and the "coolant temp" warning popped up. i'm the original owner and have never seen the needle go past half way. he waited for it to cool down and returned after 2 hours by driving as far as he could before it went red again and had to pause to cool down a bit.

i looked around previous threads, and we went to work flushing the radiator. 3 months ago the fuel pump croaked in bu-fu iowa and i had a small town mechanic replace it. in the last month my DIY guy had already replaced the head gasket (was slowly losing oil around the bottom edge) the ac condenser (cracked coil years ago, but never cared about ac till i got married and had kids) and have done a full tune up. after all these the car worked fine

oh yeah... before anyone asks the oil and filter are new and clean, no white gunk.

after the flush, the car went around the block before the needle hit red again.

so we set to replacing the coolant temp sensor which is a pain to get to. yada yada the car went around the block before the needle hit red again.

this morning he took my car to his mechanic cousin who put it on the scanner and said it was just the thermostat, since everything else was basically fine with our tinkering. as i was typing this he calls me and says on his way back from the mechanic, a dude hits my car and its bent and scrathed on both sides of front wheel! luckily the guy appears to be stand up and says it was his fault, didnt look or signal, etc, and will go to nearest body shop and pay for damages on the spot.

so by the time i typed this pointless story, it seems i have recieved the answer to the original question of what the heck is wrong with my apparently overheating engine, and found out the bimmer gods are not pleased with me for ignoring maintenance the last couple years, and have decided to stick it to me on a regular basis lately.

if this has not helped anyone, i hope it at least has been entertaining.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i suspected the bleeding process as well, mostly cause all the descriptions ive read here didnt totally jive with what i actually saw (or they dont get into great detail)... we bled it and it hissed and spurted till just coolant came out flowing and we tightened the bleed screw into the steady flow.

now what is the pisser line? u mean the little hole at top of coolant tank that squirts the juice as it cycles thru system? we saw that was fine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts