Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as a friendly reminder, if you see a good coolant leak on your X5, check your coolant temperature sensor o-ring. For such a small o-ring, this leak can get pretty big. ECS tuning has the o-ring for $.99. Don’t go for the wrong material o-rings at the local store. I went from no leak to a big leak quickly. Easy DIY. IMG_3415.jpg IMG_3416.jpg IMG_3417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,455 Posts
... Don’t go for the wrong material o-rings at the local store. View attachment 831053 View attachment 831055 View attachment 831057
The green color caught my eye vis-a-vis material selection. This Parker-Hannifin catalogue lists GREEN as general purpose FLUOROSILICONE (FVMQ) with improved fuel and oil resistance qualities.

https://www.parker.com/literature/O...terial Test Report Files/Polymer families.pdf

If that is the case, then there may be a better material for water-coolant systems.

Parker-Hannifin was a favorite materials supply contractor.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The green color caught my eye vis-a-vis material selection. This Parker-Hannifin catalogue lists GREEN as general purpose FLUOROSILICONE (FVMQ) with improved fuel and oil resistance qualities.

https://www.parker.com/literature/O...terial Test Report Files/Polymer families.pdf

If that is the case, then there may be a better material for water-coolant systems.

Parker-Hannifin was a favorite materials supply contractor.

"Hydrogenation of nitrile rubber removes most of the residual unsaturation in the polymer to make it far less vulnerable to attack by heat, ozone, and oxygen. In fact, due to superior oil and temperature resistance, Highly Saturated Nitrile can sometimes be substituted for more costly fluorocarbon rubber."

From reading, I guess this is why it is chosen for this application?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts