BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read every forum on here concerning the coolant system.

2004 330ci coupe

NO LEAKS.

I have replaced...
all pulleys.
Belts
All Hoses
Radiator
Expansion tank
Sensor on the bottom hose
Water pump
Thermostat
Fan clutch
Fan (aux fan works fine)

I've bled the system (I have done this in the past and never had any problems with air bubbles, don't think that's the problem now)

I fire it up. Let it run for 15 minutes... The gauge starts moving past 12. I rev it up, it comes back down (with the heat on). Heats up within 5 minutes if I drive it. (ITS NEVER GOTTEN IN TO THE RED)

The idiot light for coolant NEVER comes on!
No coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant.

WTF? I love this car, but I'm slowly learning to hate it! I need my ride back! At least long enough to drive it somewhere to trade it!! HELP!!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
First things first, I know you said you bled it, but anytime I do a repair and somethings wonky I always go back and recheck even the simple stuff. I'd recommend bleeding again if for nothing else just for the sake of checking the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First things first, I know you said you bled it, but anytime I do a repair and somethings wonky I always go back and recheck even the simple stuff. I'd recommend bleeding again if for nothing else just for the sake of checking the box.
I have. Truly. I've bled in ten times in the last week.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The key statement is "...rev it up and the temperature goes down..." or words to that effect. That tells me that there's inadequate coolant flow through the system at idle or there's insufficient air coming through the radiator.

What brands of parts did you install? I'm concerned about the fan clutch and the thermostat especially.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
Sounds like a stubborn air bubble somewhere. I would crawl around under the car with a rubber mallet, and use it to "massage" any potential hiding places. Bleed it again, with the front end raised a bit. Make sure the heater is on full blast during the process.

Good luck !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The key statement is "...rev it up and the temperature goes down..." or words to that effect. That tells me that there's inadequate coolant flow through the system at idle or there's insufficient air coming through the radiator.

What brands of parts did you install? I'm concerned about the fan clutch and the thermostat especially.
I used BMW parts from the dealership.

I went and got another thermostat today because as long as I've worked on engines... It seems like the thermostat is stuck closed.

I have installed it and have been sitting in the car with the A/C on full blast for 20 minutes now with no signs of temp problems (which is a better sign than before).

There is a steady stream of clear water coming from under the car. (Passenger side by transmission area)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car has been running for an hour (sitting still and driving). I think it's safe to say it's fixed.

Bad thermostat out of the box from the dealer!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts