BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2010 535xi on copart and need some opinions on it. Im going to look at this coming week for a real good idea whats the car’s condition. Also how much should i bid for it?
73,000 miles
Good maintenance with carfax before crash
Runs and drives it says
Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
2001 325i 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
928 Posts
I don't know what a good bid is, but since this is your first post, and I don't know how familiar you are with BMWs, remember that the hood, front fenders, front frame, and many suspension components are all made of aluminum and if you have to repair any of that it could be more expensive.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You are probably looking at you-tubers who showed how they purchased cars from a co-part and got lucky. Just to point out that some of them left out details and is only showing one side of it. Assuming you won and got the branded title because it's been in an accident, you have to figure out how to make that title into "previous salvage .." from "salvaged" to register and drive it legally. That process could be tedious and probably not worth the money you spent on fixing. You could buy probably something at a higher price outside of co-part without the hassle of re-branding the title. If you have a dealer or shop license it's not going to be an issue, for a private individual you have to do more research.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just checked prices on those. Wow. Prices are going up. Clean title like that seem to be listed for $12-14,000.

figure 30% off for salvage and $8-9K (and repaired correctly)

needs new headlights, fender, hood not too bad. If you could get it for a few grand then you are in business.

If the frame rails need work forget about it. Have not done body work only mechanical stuff and we are assuming that this car is 100% mechanically perfect (which after 12 years…). But, I had some work done before after a deer decided it wanted a close up look at my car and something about aluminum bonded to steel and can fix only not replace cost the insurance company a lot for what looked like a little.

Anyway - these are not the cars to buy and flip. No one outside of the few who inhabit this space know the true value of these cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked prices on those. Wow. Prices are going up. Clean title like that seem to be listed for $12-14,000.

figure 30% off for salvage and $8-9K (and repaired correctly)

needs new headlights, fender, hood not too bad. If you could get it for a few grand then you are in business.

If the frame rails need work forget about it. Have not done body work only mechanical stuff and we are assuming that this car is 100% mechanically perfect (which after 12 years…). But, I had some work done before after a deer decided it wanted a close up look at my car and something about aluminum bonded to steel and can fix only not replace cost the insurance company a lot for what looked like a little.

Anyway - these are not the cars to buy and flip. No one outside of the few who inhabit this space know the true value of these cars.
I’m not flipping this car i just wanna fun fast car. Throw money at with a discount. That inline6 twin turbo is what i like

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Ive always found that cars get to Copart AFTER many many many guys that know a TON about fixing and flipping cars have LOOKED at it and PASSED on it.

The only cars that actually GET to copart are sold to rank amateurs who get screwed.

Well, except this one I guess....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive always found that cars get to Copart AFTER many many many guys that know a TON about fixing and flipping cars have LOOKED at it and PASSED on it.

The only cars that actually GET to copart are sold to rank amateurs who get screwed.

Well, except this one I guess....
Well i agree with that, but i pulles the carfax/history and it was crashed about 1 month ago so the insurance company for sure took a second. So definitely first time being here at copart. Im not sure if that makes sense of is right.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you can do the work and it a car you like it may not be a bad deal. This may ne the perfect copper car for you. The flippers don’t want it because of cost/resale value. I looked at parts on eBay and fenders are a couple hundred and headlights are $300/each.

The mechanical side is a different issue. That has nothing to do with salvage. It’s a 12 year old BMW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can do the work and it a car you like it may not be a bad deal. This may ne the perfect copper car for you. The flippers don’t want it because of cost/resale value. I looked at parts on eBay and fenders are a couple hundred and headlights are $300/each.

The mechanical side is a different issue. That has nothing to do with salvage. It’s a 12 year old BMW.
Yeah I’m willing to do the work and learn. I need something like this only if it’s a good deal and no bent frame. I’ve done research for parts and cost. I appreciate the help!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Well i agree with that, but i pulles the carfax/history and it was crashed about 1 month ago so the insurance company for sure took a second. So definitely first time being here at copart. Im not sure if that makes sense of is right.
I wasn’t talking about it going through copart more than once. Lots of guys get to look at cars as a part of normal business. Like the shop that towed the wreck, the shop that the owner took the car to, etc.…. unofficial.

do you think ‘flippers ‘ can’t buy parts -fenders and headlights- on eBay?!

imo copart cars are always a bad deal.

but, hey, you WILL learn something!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.