BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not experimented much with loading music onto the local hard disc.

I took a USB thumbdrive with one song and plugged it into the USB port in the glove box. However the car would not read it.

Since the iTunes music is in a folder hiearchy, what is the best way to copy my library to the hard disc and have it usable by iDrive?

Do music formats matter or will the car read most common file formats? MP3, WAV, etc?:dunno:

p.s. I have read earlier threads and the consensus was to simply use an iPOD which give your album art and forget about loading music onto the hard drive. It is overly complicated and there is not much value there.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
What's complicated about plugging in an ipod?

In any event, I don't believe the car reads MP4's, so putting your iTunes library on a thumb drive won't work if that's how they're coded.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just copy the itunes folder to your portable hard drive and off you go. Your car will play AACs as well as mp3s.
I tried that but it did not work.

I am not sure if it is the type of USB stick I am using or that car not understanding the folder structure.

Did you actually get this to work?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes this worked for me. Did you navigate using the "directory" and see if that helped. Also what type of device are you using? Do you see your drive in your idrive?
To be clear, are you using the USB in the center console or in the glovebox?

I tried the glovebox which may be the issue. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The console works for playing music.

My question was about importing music which according to the manual has to be done using the glovebox port. However it won't read the same USB stick that works in the console USB port. :dunno:

I can see why you guys gave up and just use an iPOD. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,687 Posts
The console works for playing music.

My question was about importing music which according to the manual has to be done using the glovebox port. However it won't read the same USB stick that works in the console USB port. :dunno:

I can see why you guys gave up and just use an iPOD. :rofl:
I don't have the iPod console connector, but import my iPod library through the glove box USB port. I drag my songs from my "purchased" area via iTunes. I didn't copy the iTunes library directly, because of the way they songs are saved by artist. Just drag your songs as I mentioned, to your thumb drive, then do the import. Works fine for me. Remember that each import is treated as a separate "album". If you want to update your main iPod track list you have to delete the original collection and re-import the whole thing. I do it every 6 months or so.

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
IIRC there are more audio format and bitrate restrictions when importing audio files to the internal disk from an USB stick (glovebox) than simply playing them from the console port. The details should be mentioned in the manual.

I'm playing all music from a permanently connected tiny 64GB stick in the console. It's smaller than a regular USB connector, so the risk of breaking it because it's protruding into the compartment space is completely negligible. And it also plays WMA lossless, which is the only supported uncompressed format supporting id tags and album art.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,675 Posts
I don't have the iPod console connector, but import my iPod library through the glove box USB port. I drag my songs from my "purchased" area via iTunes. I didn't copy the iTunes library directly, because of the way they songs are saved by artist. Just drag your songs as I mentioned, to your thumb drive, then do the import. Works fine for me. Remember that each import is treated as a separate "album". If you want to update your main iPod track list you have to delete the original collection and re-import the whole thing. I do it every 6 months or so.
+1. Mark helped me get mine sorted out and now I have my songs on the hard drive. What I did was stick the USB in the laptop, go to windows explorer, find I tunes and then sent the whole I tunes folder to the stick. After that I took the stick and put it into the glove box USB port. Push the CD button on the I drive controller, push options button and then select import from USB. Note it takes a good minute or two for the car to see the USB stick so if you quickly go into options the import function may not show for a minute or two. Also, the USB has to be turned upside down to fit into the glovebox port.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I figured out the error of my ways.

When I inserted the USB stick in the glovebox USB port, I did not realize that it would take a couple minutes to show up. :slap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.