BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C has been blowing warm... I got gauges and measured the low side PSI... it was 70-75 PSI which according the chart I had (spec for BMWs and calculates RH and air temp) it should have been around 50.

Took it to the bmw shop and first they said everything was working fine and it probably needed to be flushed and refilled: $280

I told them to proceed, they called back and said when it was filled to the correct pressure the seal on the compressor blew out. So now it needs a new compressor: $1450.

Does anyone know the correct PSI the low side should be at? Is it plausible to question whether the mechanic overfilled it and blew the seal?

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
dfase said:
Does anyone know the correct PSI the low side should be at? Is it plausible to question whether the mechanic overfilled it and blew the seal?
Dunno what the suction side pressure should be, but it is entirely possible they overfilled it and blew a seal.

It is also possible that the seal was bad to begin with, as you had no/low refrigerant charge. This will be their claim if you push the issue. $1400 is a lot of coin for an AC compressor.

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
The price for the compressor on RealOEM is $850, so given the standard dealer markup and laber, that sounds about right.

You might try visiting an independent shop, and buying a compressor from a junkyard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.