BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I've tried searching for an answer to this question, but get conflicting info.

My 325i has 17" rims, but there are two different size tires on them. Two are 235/40 and the other two are 245/40. They were like this when I purchased the car.

Which is the correct size?

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
Most cars have differents size tyres front to back so neither size is "wrong"....although they are pretty wide for just 17"!! Dont u have rubbin issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rubbing issues. They are two different brands also, so I don't think it was intentional. I am about to buy replacements and just need to know which size I should go with. If I don't get any objections, I am going to buy 235/40. These look better out of the two sizes, the 245/40 look too "thick".

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
Personally i like to have wider rears so i always have 225 front and 235 rears...yeah i agree with having all 4 tyres the same brand..or at least the front the same and rear the same..235 will be ok though..just reckon u'll get a better ride with 225 at front..but sure others will dissagree!! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there are two reason why I think I will stick with the same size for all four tires.

1) So they can be rotated front to back for longer life.
2) It's easier and cheaper for me to buy them all the same size.

I guess both those reasons are based on my cheapness. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't mind them a bit wider on the rear.

But even you don't have any 245, so they are a no go.

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
Hummm spose its all going to depend on ur suspension set up.. i had some issues with my e46 on wide tyres but thinking about it i think they were 265 or 255 (luckily i dont pay for my tyres... bro owns a tyre shop!) If ur gonna rotate ur tyres make sure u check u can with the new ones..all the tyres iv got in the last few years u cant rotate as they are directional...but then i normally try and use conti sports so dunno about other brands an stuff...Just something to bear in mind! I just think my car tracks enough as it is on 235 rears i reckon it would tram aweful on 245's..again depends on the quality of ur rds where u are though!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts