BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding another year or two to my 2018 X1 maintenance plan. Can anyone give me an idea of the cost might be for replacing all 4 brakes and rotor repair? I'm trying to decide whether $1085 for the maintenance upgrade is a better deal or not. No, I don't want to do the job myself and no, the independent shops near me are famous for ripping folks off so I won't use them. I trust my dealership for the most part.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
To get a proper response people would need to now how many miles are on the car, how many you drive per year and what services ( date and miles) the car has already had. If you need a oil change, brake flush, full brake job and filter replaced soon get the 1yr plan and save a couple $$hundred. If all these items don't need serviced within a years time, then its a waste of $$$$. If you can and there are other dealers are in your area, shop around to get the best possible price for this package.

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
Maybe $1500 to $2k.

But, the rotors can be machined down when replacing the brake pads. But, BMW dealerships prefer to replace the rotors because ... mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! The rotors have a minimum thickness stamped in them. If you can get them to machine them down, that will save you about $1000 in parts.

The rotors will warp some under normal use. Also, rotors "knife" when they wear, more wear near the outer edge than near the hub. Machining needs to be done down to the valley of the warping on each side, and down to the minimum thickness near the edge. Sometimes, that puts them below the minimum thickness of the rotors.

Brake pad life has a lot to do with your driving environment and your driving behavior. My first BMW had the original pads at 115k miles when I sold it. Frau Putzer's Honda Accord's brakes lasted 145k miles. But, my Cobalt's front brakes wore out at 70k miles. The front wheels were always filthy. I suspect my 535i's front brakes will last 80k miles. But, it's flat where I live. We're moving to the foothills of the Smokey Mountains soon, and brakes will wear out a lot faster there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm considering adding another year or two to my 2018 X1 maintenance plan. Can anyone give me an idea of the cost might be for replacing all 4 brakes and rotor repair? I'm trying to decide whether $1085 for the maintenance upgrade is a better deal or not. No, I don't want to do the job myself and no, the independent shops near me are famous for ripping folks off so I won't use them. I trust my dealership for the most part.
If you know for certain you get 4 wheel brake job with 4 new rotors..it's a"no brainer" since deaklrs charge $500-600/axle..does the package include a wheel alignment and rebalancing the tires??? That's worth $200-250 alone....throw in a $100 oil change an d $150 brake flush..you could save a ton...but if they only include oil change wiper blades and a cabin filter...it's a total rip off!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I just wanted a rough idea of the costs. I will certainly have over 50,000 miles by then. It sounds like extending the Maintenance Plan is the way to go. I plan to trade it in around that time and getting the brakes repaired might add to the car's value in negotiations.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Brake pad etc service / replacement

Thanks guys. I just wanted a rough idea of the costs. I will certainly have over 50,000 miles by then. It sounds like extending the Maintenance Plan is the way to go. I plan to trade it in around that time and getting the brakes repaired might add to the car's value in negotiations.
What is the anticipated # of miles for "Brake Service" showing up in iDrive? It's only a computed estimate and an "inspection" by a qualified BMW trained mechanic is always best. Depending on your driving habits/style you may or may not require new brake pads & sensors - and if this is a second pad replacement, based on a measurement of the brake discs, they may require replacement too.

As to adding "value" for an anticipated trade-in - well that's somewhat iffy. It may, at best add some "feel-good" points when you haggle over trade-in value. Will you gain a dollar for every dollar in required services performed?? Probably not.

Based on my experience and depending on your history + relationship with the servicing shop (indy or dealer) Brake R&R could run $400 - $700 per axle using original BMW parts. IF a brake flush has not been performed in the past 2 years add another $100-$150.

Check out your local BMW dealer "Value Service" programs and "Service Specials" too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts