BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be getting a 2010 550i GT, it has a perfect Carfax and record. Does anyone have a similar model from around the same time and have a general idea of what the annual cost of ownership will be (assuming it does not have any major problems or catastrophic engine failure)?

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
Cars driving 12k miles/year, in general, depreciate 25% the first year; 20% the year they go out of warranty, the year they become seven model years old, and the year they go over 100k miles; and 15% the other years. Luxury cars tend to depreciate a little faster. So, your car probably cost about 20% of MSRP, more if it has low mileage. Your deprecation costs will be trivial. Your repair bills will not be.

Older BMW V8's are notorious for smoking (from the exhaust pipe and from under the car due to leaks). I spend $7k for maintenance and repairs in a 12-month, 10k mile period with my old BMW (D46 M3). But, the few years before were painless, and the year afterwards (for the next owner) was also painless. So, I guess the answer is $100 to $10,000/year in maintenance cost.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
So, I guess the answer is $100 to $10,000/year in maintenance cost.
Given that this has the N63 engine, it will be closer to $10k.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I think it may be the twin turbos causing it to blow oil by the rings which causes deposits also affecting the injectors and plugs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
BMW straight sixes are very reliable. Owners tend to wind them out more reducing chances of carbon buildup. The 8s...not soo much. People baby them (most) to get better GPM which can cause more build up in engine and more leaks in exhaust due to acid water left in low areas of exhaust when not revved high enough to blow out moisture. Not to mention piston travel not going beyond low rpm travel inside cylinder walls. All my cars have over 100,000 miles on them and I will still run them just shy of red line to stretch that piston travel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMW straight sixes are very reliable. Owners tend to wind them out more reducing chances of carbon buildup. The 8s...not soo much. People baby them (most) to get better GPM which can cause more build up in engine and more leaks in exhaust due to acid water left in low areas of exhaust when not revved high enough to blow out moisture. Not to mention piston travel not going beyond low rpm travel inside cylinder walls. All my cars have over 100,000 miles on them and I will still run them just shy of red line to stretch that piston travel.
Can I also reduce the buildup by using higher grade premium gasoline?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The N63 is the first V8 turbo engine for BMW, and it became the least reliable engine in BMW's history. Once they realized, instead of recalling them they offered "customer care package" to fix some of the issues.

Looks like you haven't made a singe search regarding this topic.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ms-report-about-reliability-issues-90678.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817273&highlight=n63+ccp

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874351&highlight=n63+ccp

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Can I also reduce the buildup by using higher grade premium gasoline?
The amount of detergents in a fuel have almost nothing to do with the octane level...To minimize deposits on things, use a fuel listed on the www.toptiergas.com website. While it may be true that some companies put more detergents in their premium grade gasoline, that is not a given or reliable measure. FWIW, BMW recommends that if you cannot or don't want to use a fuel on the Top Tier Gas list, that you should periodically use an approved engine cleaner. Most dealerships have a brochure that covers that information. I do not know how they handle that outside of the USA or Canada.

On a BMW, when you do not use a premium grade fuel, while the computer will adjust the engine so it won't be directly damaged, you will NOT have the full power that it could produce if using the specified fuel. Note, there is still a minimum octane required, but more than what they call for doesn't buy you much of anything on a stock engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts