BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cost Of Owning An M5

752 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Rebound
Hi everyone, I'm looking at a 12-14 M5. It has about 20,000 miles on it, and the asking price is $52,000.

This would be my first BMW, and I was just wanting to get an idea of the cost to own and maintain the car. How about reliability? How long do you guys recommend keeping the car?

Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go to bimmerforums. Send a PM to Bmwdirtracer. He’s a top notch mechanic and a racing instructor. Tell him Mark sent you.

Maintaining any M car is never cheap.
If you have to question yourself on the costs of maintaining an M5, it may not be the best choice for you. Stick with what you're comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
If I am not mistaken the S63 engine needs rod bearings replaced every 25K? miles or so
Are you saying it needs a fortune to own an M5? If not then what is wrong with knowing the cost upfront? I don't get it.
If you have to question yourself on the costs of maintaining an M5, it may not be the best choice for you. Stick with what you're comfortable with.

Because no one can actually say what it is going to cost. How does one know what is going to break or wear out? What they are referring to is that it will cost much more to fix an M5 than other 5 series.
The joy of owning a Beast!

Thanks for the replies. We decided not to get the M5. I'm still looking for me though. I have a thread going in the M3 and M4 area. Titled like this thread.
I don't think you took away the right thoughts. Good luck
Thanks for the replies. We decided not to get the M5. I'm still looking for me though. I have a thread going in the M3 and M4 area. Titled like this thread.
The M3 and M4 are the same story. Like any limited-production, high performance car, whether it's Lexus, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, the exotic models in particular have very high performance parts which cost much more, and if you drive the car like the sports car it is, wear will increase. Also, because production volume is lower, the manufacturer has less reliability data to work from. So the issue of higher maintenance and repair costs isn't specific to the M5, but to cars of that nature. They're exotics.

Brake pad/rotor replacements parts costs, for example, are roughly $200-$250 for a basic Toyota, $500-$700 for a BMW, and over $1,000 for an exotic. Sometimes, prices are way over $1,000. And that's before labor.

I saw an awesome M4 at my dealer which has a water-injected turbocharger. Now, that's amazing technology, but it's brand new and very low volume. If it needs repair out of warranty... OUCH! It's gonna cost, baby!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.